Question

Trying to understand fake likes on SC

• 3 January 2017
  • 6 replies

I just have a couple of tracks on SC and before putting any more up would like to get a better understanding of the hows and whys of what appear to be fake likes. I have a total of about 9 or 10 messages from the past few months from SC that say "so and so likes your track..." and have just saved them for my own tracking purposes. When I go to the track and look at the likes, however, none of them are there. There are 2 or 3 others, but about 9 or 10 that do not show up on the track list of likes (the heart icon) so I am guessing that these are generated by bots or some other internet trash. So questions:

Are these really fake likes or is there some reason they may not all be showing up on my tracks?

Is there a way to screen these out?

Why would anyone do this? I mean, what would they get out of it?

6 replies

Most fake likes, especially ones that appear pretty-much as soon as you posted the track and before it's got any plays, are going to be some kind of spammers. If you look at their profile it will probably have just one track which is a repost of a "buy real followers" advert or something similar. If that account gets deleted, the "like" will disappear.
However, you can "unlike" something you've previously liked, so it's possible you had a genuine fan but they then changed their mind.
I think since soundcloud has made some sort of algorithm to track fake accounts the botters have made it so the fake accounts like and immediately dislike some tracks, I've had this happen to some of my tracks aswell.
If they like and unlike your track the notification will not go away, very annoying, but I don't think anything can be done about that right now. 😕

Why would anyone do this? I mean, what would they get out of it?

Most likely it's spammers wanting you to look at their profile and fall for whatever con they are offering.
Thanks for your responses, yeah this makes sense. I'm really trying to decide whether or not to even continue posting stuff to SC. I have my own website where I can publish tracks and albums, so I'm wondering if posting to SC really gets me anything.
You can do a lot without making tracks public. You can keep everything private here but embed the tracks to play from another site. A lot of labels like demos sent as private SoundCloud tracks and playlists, rather than having to download tracks before they've heard them.
OOOoooh that is smart...thanks, never thought of that. Really appreciated.