Question

Trying to use the website for reasonable work and getting penalized for doing so.

• 11 October 2016
  • 4 replies

So I recently started a page where we release tracks from artists. I've had a really amazing time doing it so far, and have connected with artists all over the world.

One of the ways I search for demos is by checking out artists I find through Soundcloud. When I find something I don't like, I move on to the next artist. When I find something I enjoy, I shoot the artist a message. Each message I have sent has been personalized to the artist.

I am not spamming in any way, just trying to connect with an new artist I like. Twice now I've been flagged for "sending too many messages." Each time making it increasingly more difficult to stay in contact with these artists. It becomes frustrating because I have no choice but to stop what I am doing on the spot.

It's really a bummer because I think that's the opposite of what Soundcloud should be. It should be a place for artists and labels to reach out to each other, not get in the way of that! I totally understand why your flagging system is in place, however I don't believe I should be lumped in with the people who deserve to be flagged.

I'm not really sure what else to do but to spend less time looking through music. I really hope you guys will consider doing something about this so that the audio & music community isn't so restricted.

Thank you guys, I appreciate your time.

4 replies

Userlevel 1
this has happened to me to i write and message lots of different people and like u personilsed each of my messages to each indivdual coz they had asked me to send them my new track just like wot they do to me but i was flaged to and u r right u shud b able to get yourself and others out there by messaging there shud b an option if u wud like to resive or not so u make the choice not soundcloud as it was a computer program that flaged us and not a human being i will back u in this matter all the way KarNeVor p.s they r straight on the case about sending to many messages but wen it cums to stopin pay for plays or fake followers they r slow as fu- well u get wot i mean
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch. I've run this by our Trust & Safety team to see if the system was working as designed. These systems are automated, and although we're always refining and improving their detection measures, it is difficult to ensure that they're always 100% accurate.

These systems focus on detecting accounts sending large numbers of similar or identical messages in a 24 hour period, to community members who haven't recently interacted with them. Looking at your messages, even though they are positive, they don't always vary so much. This is why you've run into this block. To avoid being blocked in the future, I would suggest making each message unique to the person you're contacting, or trying to cut down on the total number of messages you send in a day. The more personal and unique the message you send is, the more memorable it will be to the person receiving it.

If you feel this requires further investigation, please get in touch with the team directly here.

All the best,
Mathis
Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch. I've run this by our Trust & Safety team to see if the system was working as designed. These systems are automated, and although we're always refining and improving their detection measures, it is difficult to ensure that they're always 100% accurate.

These systems focus on detecting accounts sending large numbers of similar or identical messages in a 24 hour period, to community members who haven't recently interacted with them. Looking at your messages, even though they are positive, they don't always vary so much. This is why you've run into this block. To avoid being blocked in the future, I would suggest making each message unique to the person you're contacting, or trying to cut down on the total number of messages you send in a day. The more personal and unique the message you send is, the more memorable it will be to the person receiving it.

If you feel this requires further investigation, please get in touch with the team directly here.

All the best,
Mathis

Hi Mathis,

I appreciate the reply. I will try to be more detailed in my messages. Just wondering, assuming I cater each message to the artist, make it lengthy and detailed, would I still get flagged for just sending too many messages?

Thanks again
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

All the best,
Mathis

Hi again,

If you're sending out too many messages in a very short amount of time, this could happen, yes. Slowing down a bit should help avoiding this though 🙂