Question

Unfollowing artists to clean out following, following new artists to get the download, and getting warnings.

• 2 October 2015
  • 7 replies

I'm not sure if this is a common issue or if I'm incorrectly using soundcloud as it's "intended" to be used, but I like to spend a lot of time on soundcloud because I'm a DJ. I don't follow and unfollow users for promotion. I do however like to go through my following list to see what new tracks my favorite artists have posted. Sometimes I'll unfollow artists I don't recognize or don't listen to anymore. Then say I want to go through my feed. Through some of the free dl's given by artists, fangating sites are requiring you follow the artist in order to receive the download. If I'm not following and refollowing the same artists, why is this a problem? Should I take up the following issue with fan gating sites to avoid getting warned for "overusing" when just trying to get a free download. And why is it an issue if I want to discover new music and support artists for a long period of time? Some people don't watch television. Just saying.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there Queen Beatz,

Sorry to hear this has given you such a hard time. To clear up any confusion you did not hit a limit for following too many accounts, but instead for re-following the same accounts.

Our Trust & Safety team has implemented a limit in response to the community's request to curb behavior where an account follows, unfollows and then re-follows the same account(s) again in a short period of time in order to unfairly boost their own followings.

Based on the feedback from our users, who said it was causing annoyance and confusion, they have put limits in place to restrict this behavior. Your account has been blocked from following and unfollowing for this reason. As they wish to prevent this activity in the future, if you run in to this limit repeatedly, each block you receive will increase in length.

I understand that you're not intending to use the feature in this manner, however if the rules by which our service works apply, you would run into the same block.

These limits are in place to address community complaints about accounts overusing, or using features in a way other than as they were intended. I hope you can appreciate why we felt it necessary to put these limits in place.

Best regards,
Mathis
Hi there Queen Beatz,

Sorry to hear this has given you such a hard time. To clear up any confusion you did not hit a limit for following too many accounts, but instead for re-following the same accounts.

Our Trust & Safety team has implemented a limit in response to the community's request to curb behavior where an account follows, unfollows and then re-follows the same account(s) again in a short period of time in order to unfairly boost their own followings.

Based on the feedback from our users, who said it was causing annoyance and confusion, they have put limits in place to restrict this behavior. Your account has been blocked from following and unfollowing for this reason. As they wish to prevent this activity in the future, if you run in to this limit repeatedly, each block you receive will increase in length.

I understand that you're not intending to use the feature in this manner, however if the rules by which our service works apply, you would run into the same block.

These limits are in place to address community complaints about accounts overusing, or using features in a way other than as they were intended. I hope you can appreciate why we felt it necessary to put these limits in place.

Best regards,
Mathis

No, this is actually incorrect. I go through my feed as I'm listening to music and I'm unfollowing accounts that no longer interest me. As I continue to scroll through my feed sometimes I'll find new artists I would like to see more from in the future, then I follow them. I'm more than aware that I am not unfollowing the same accounts then refollowing them. The filter for the blocking feature isn't very specific. It's just monitoring following and unfollowing whether it's the same artist or different artists.
Hi there Queen Beatz,

Best regards,
Mathis

"You did not hit a limit for following too many accounts, but instead for re-following the same accounts."

^^ At what point did you get that idea?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there Queen Beatz,

Best regards,
Mathis

Hi again Queen Beatz,

It is what our blocking system indicates as the reason for you running into the block. Sorry if I explained this in a misleading way. If you believe the block happened in error, I'd like to ask you to write in to our Trust & Safety team, who have the necessary tools and insights to investigate this for you further.

You can reach them here. Please refer to the convo here on the forum to make sure they don't provide duplicate information to you.

All the best,
Mathis
Hi there Queen Beatz,

Best regards,
Mathis

I'm having the same issue and don't see how I can contact this team.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there Queen Beatz,

Best regards,
Mathis

Hi there MooseBox & DJ Moose,

Sorry about the confusion. The contact form-link is indeed outdated, as we try to answer as many common questions on our recently relaunched help center. If you still need to reach out to the team, there's specific contact points to each team on the help center as well.

I have taken a look into your account details for you and I currently don't see any blocks on your account, so you should be ok. If you need to "clean up" your account, please stretch out this process over a few days to make sure you don't run into a block of this kind.

Please also see this article on our help center for more info around the topic.

All the best
Mathis
Hi there Queen Beatz,

Best regards,
Mathis

Can you please tell me when I will get the ability to follow users again????