Question

Unlawful Form of Reposting?

• 13 March 2019
  • 4 replies

someone listened to some of my original songs, and when i looked at their profile, i saw that they appeared to have reposted one of my songs. however it is not actually reposted, as would be indicated by my name, a repost symbol, and then their name name directly under the song title, and it actually appears in a way on their profile page as though it's their own. they even gave it a new title. the only evidence on their page that it is my song is that under the song, there is a link bar with the number one, then my name and the actual name of my song, and how many plays it has. how would someone go about doing this? if it's legal, it's awfully misleading, as, again, the song appears on his page, with his name, and a new title for the song.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
It would help if you posted links to the song on your profile and on the other person's.
my profile...the song is called "right boy":

https://soundcloud.com/user-316009609

his profile:

https://soundcloud.com/user-940879829

after looking at it more, i realized he created a playlist with my song. still, i've been using soundcloud for awhile, and even to me it was very misleading. he even used my song's artwork for his playlist. it just doesn't seem normal, and i don't like how it appears. i suppose that doesn't matter, as long as it's not in violation of any policy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Markus,

I see what you mean. The artwork gets assigned automatically when a user creates a new playlist. In a way, it means that this user is opening up his network of followers to point them at something you've created, and for which you'll get the play counts. It exposes your music to more people if you will.

It would be more straight forward if there were more than just one track in the playlist, or if the user had chosen a custom artwork for the playlist, no doubt.

Hope this helps to look at this from a different point of view.
Mathis, thanks for the response. I understand what you're saying.