Solved

Why do you need access to peoples microphone in the app permissions? It says soundcloud can access and record audio without me knowing.

• 9 April 2016
  • 2 replies

App permissions

icon

Best answer by Mathis 11 April 2016, 11:59

Hi,
Thanks for writing in about the permissions required by our Android app. Below is an explanation about what our app has access to.

The SoundCloud app has access to:
  • Your accounts so that it can use other accounts on the device. For example, sharing to Twitter or Facebook or signing in through Google Plus.
  • Use your accounts on the device in order to request authentication tokens.
  • Create, add or remove accounts and set passwords since we handle authentication through Android's built in AccountManager which processes these actions.
  • Your location (GPS and network-based), so that you can add foursquare locations to your recordings.
  • Network communication which allows the app to send data to the internet.
  • Phone calls so that music can be paused when a call is incoming and resume afterwards.
  • Storage which allows the app to write to the USB storage. Caching of images, audio, storing of recordings and recording related data.
  • Microphone, so that you can record.
  • Your contacts so you can choose people to share private recordings with.
  • Battery, which keeps the device partially awake during playback, recording, and uploading.
  • Sync settings allows an app to modify the sync settings for an account. For example, enabling sync of the People app on your device.
  • Network communications allows the app to view information about network connections such as which networks exist and are connected.
I hope this helps to clears things up.

Best,
Mathis
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi,
Thanks for writing in about the permissions required by our Android app. Below is an explanation about what our app has access to.

The SoundCloud app has access to:
  • Your accounts so that it can use other accounts on the device. For example, sharing to Twitter or Facebook or signing in through Google Plus.
  • Use your accounts on the device in order to request authentication tokens.
  • Create, add or remove accounts and set passwords since we handle authentication through Android's built in AccountManager which processes these actions.
  • Your location (GPS and network-based), so that you can add foursquare locations to your recordings.
  • Network communication which allows the app to send data to the internet.
  • Phone calls so that music can be paused when a call is incoming and resume afterwards.
  • Storage which allows the app to write to the USB storage. Caching of images, audio, storing of recordings and recording related data.
  • Microphone, so that you can record.
  • Your contacts so you can choose people to share private recordings with.
  • Battery, which keeps the device partially awake during playback, recording, and uploading.
  • Sync settings allows an app to modify the sync settings for an account. For example, enabling sync of the People app on your device.
  • Network communications allows the app to view information about network connections such as which networks exist and are connected.
I hope this helps to clears things up.

Best,
Mathis
Hello,

I do understand application access to microphone because of recording case. But my Android system reported several times Soundcloud app is using my microphone even this app was not started by me (running in background) and record button was not tapped by me.

Thank you for any ideas.
Peter