Answered

Cover or Copyright Infringement?

• 1 November 2019
  • 1 reply

If one wanted to do a cover, would he/she need to receive permission from the original artist? If he/she doesn't, is it considered a copyright infringement?

I have read the copyright policies. I also realised there are many covers on Soundcloud. Does it mean all of them have asked for permission from the original artists?

I wish to do a few song covers and hope to understand what I need to do to avoid getting in trouble.

I am a new user so I would really appreciate your help!
Thank you very much for your help!

icon

Best answer by s l i g h t 1 November 2019, 23:52

Unfortunately there are no clear rules with cover versions. It really depends on not just the original artist’s wishes but those of the songwriter if that is someone different, the record company, the publisher etc.. No, people who have cover versions on SoundCloud will not have contacted the rights holders but should be making it clear in the title that it is a cover.

Maybe check if covers of a song you want to do are already on SoundCloud and you should be safe. If there is a well-known artist who you’d expect to find covers of but don’t, it is probably best to stay clear.

Finally, a lot of the people who have had trouble uploading covers are people who think a cover version is them singing along to the original recording. (Seriously, they think that is why it is called a cover version because you’re covering the original voice with their own!!!!) What is happening is their upload is simply being taken down because it contains the original.

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Unfortunately there are no clear rules with cover versions. It really depends on not just the original artist’s wishes but those of the songwriter if that is someone different, the record company, the publisher etc.. No, people who have cover versions on SoundCloud will not have contacted the rights holders but should be making it clear in the title that it is a cover.

Maybe check if covers of a song you want to do are already on SoundCloud and you should be safe. If there is a well-known artist who you’d expect to find covers of but don’t, it is probably best to stay clear.

Finally, a lot of the people who have had trouble uploading covers are people who think a cover version is them singing along to the original recording. (Seriously, they think that is why it is called a cover version because you’re covering the original voice with their own!!!!) What is happening is their upload is simply being taken down because it contains the original.