Question

Did Soundcloud "accidentally" count my self-plays?

• 20 August 2015
  • 6 replies

Soundcloud play count has always worked fine to me. However, after since my recent track ("Ch_ Còn by MPKH - Penny Mashi test"), I think the stats were messed up with my own self-plays. I know for sure that MOST of the play counts for this song are from myself.
As I was wondering if there was any mistake, I went through my whole profile and listened to my all songs (more than 30 tracks). After that, I checked back the overall stats and saw that the number of "anonymous" play counts for today had risen up to 49, which is dramatically much higher than usual. That's how I came to the conclusion that SC has accidentally counted my own play clicks...
Also, I have another problem with SC about uploading new tracks. Uploading new tracks to SC was fine with me. Until few months ago, I encountered difficulty in uploading ANY tracks to SC: the upload progress always stuck at 0.17MB or so, and never ever went further. It could only be fixed if I take down my home internet connection and "borrow" another wifi connection in the neighborhood to upload new songs. Weird...

6 replies

I think it did the same thing on mine too. I even played a hidden track and my stats went up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Hmm, I've looked into this for you, however wasn't able to get confirmation that the plays were coming from you as users. Were you logged in to your account when you played the track? Also, sometimes playing your own track will cause for the play count on your track side to go up, however upon refreshing, the count should be properly reset.

Can you take a look into this and see if this needs further investigation?

Cheers
Mathis
Hi!

this has been happening to me also for the past few days. while I am my all time favorite artist and I listen to my own stuff a lot on SC, I really don't want these plays counting towards my stats (this happens while logged in and the count remains the same after refreshing the page etc., on all browsers).
Hi there,

Hmm, I've looked into this for you, however wasn't able to get confirmation that the plays were coming from you as users. Were you logged in to your account when you played the track? Also, sometimes playing your own track will cause for the play count on your track side to go up, however upon refreshing, the count should be properly reset.

Can you take a look into this and see if this needs further investigation?

Cheers
Mathis

Hi Mathis,

As I've mentioned, this never happened to me before. I do notice that sometimes playing my own track will cause the track's play count to go up. But this time, it wouldn't be reset even after I refreshed the page. And yes, I am always logged in to my account, I even set myself to Stealth Mode when playing tracks on SC. I often listen to my own tracks on SC in a playlist, and since yesterday, it was the first time I noticed my self-plays were counted.
Could you take a deeper look at the problem and see if it's a... bug or something?

Thanks for your kind consideration!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi again everyone,

Thank you for following up on this, we greatly appreciate this! I've run further tests and was eventually able to reproduce the issue you were explaining. After submitting this as a bug report to our engineers, they just let me know that this has now been fixed.

Cheers
Mathis

I've recently noticed the same thing  

Every time I play one of my own songs (and I AM logged in as myself) my song count has been rising accordingly. 

This is a new phenomenon for me.... never had this issue before

Can SoundCloud please fix this?