Question

Does uploading songs to SoundCloud reduce its sound quality?

• 27 October 2014
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1
Does uploading songs to souncloud reduces it's sound quality?

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Minimum system requirements to access SoundCloud.com.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey hey,

Thanks for posting. Great question actually! Our system transcodes all tracks to 128 kbps mp3 for streaming playback. If you choose to make your track downloadable, the version that users can download will be an exact copy of the version you uploaded, without any transcoding or quality loss.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mathis
Userlevel 1
Hello, thanks for the quick reply there. One more question, if I upload a 128 kbps MP3 file, does it reduce/transcode the sound quality again? It should be the exact quality isn't it because the kpbs and file type is the same?

There is one more question, how can I delete a message I sent to another user without deleting the whole conversation?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey hey,

Yes, you're correct - uploading a 128 kbps file should not reduce in quality.

I saw you created a new conversation for your second question already - good job, that's the perfect way to address varying topics on the forum and keep information transparent. Thanks for that!

Cheers,
Mathis
Userlevel 1
Thanks for noticing. This community really helps me as user to get to know soundcloud better. Cheers!
Userlevel 1
Do you plan to enable playback without transcoding, for example for Ogg/Vorbis or Ogg/Opus for browsers which support them?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Do you plan to enable playback without transcoding, for example for Ogg/Vorbis or Ogg/Opus for browsers which support them?
Hi shmerl,

Thanks for your post. This currently isn't on our roadmap, no. Please note that for the streaming quality, we wanted to make sure streaming was working even on devices with a slower internet connection. However, we made sure that if the uploader of the track enables downloads, user can then download the track in the original format (i.e., the format that the uploader chose).

Cheers,
Mathis
Userlevel 1
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled What the heck is Soundcloud doing with my music???.

I _ve uploaded some beautiful mixed recordings (converted to 320 MP3). But in Soundcloud it sounds awful. Souncloud seems to process the songs with too much compression. The level is pumping up and down. Sorry, but this can _t be tolerated....
Userlevel 2
I also agree with Goranje, my musics sound like limited in volume, it's very frustrating
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled soundcloud change the sound of the track - dont know why....

when i upload my track its sound a little bit different from the original - like i have a sound of reverb/white noise on the kick i've tryed to upload again and after 3 times i understood that something is wrong, its the first time it happen to me, the track is "awaken" and you can here it in my private tracks from 1:32 when the base line starts, the level of trcac is -5 db, i will appreciate it if you will tell me what to do...

tnx
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled problem with the sound.

I have a problem of a little sound in the track, its sound like small white noise after/on the kick and starts from 1:32 when the base line starts,
i thought to upload in 16 bit with dithering but it was useless.
i think the best way is to send you the track that you'll compare it - that will be the easyer and the less strange and complicate posibilty i think..

https://soundcloud.com/eyalshiku/awaken-mix-1316 - this is the track

tnx for helping...
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Uploaded track with strange noise.

Hi, I've tried several times to upload a track to my Pro account. The problem is that once uploaded my track has some strange noises that are not in the original one.

I _ve read here a bit and I _ve tried some of the solutions like changing the mixing or the kind of file uploaded. Unfortunately not functioning.

Can someone give me any hints of what can be done? it _s realy weird, I download the original file from soundcloud page and sounds perfect but on soundcloud player the noises are back!

The track is: https://soundcloud.com/klavierbamberg/clementi-i-satz/s-KF5I4
Example of noise at 10 und 30 seconds
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled cracklings in all my soundtracks.

Hey there, many cracks appear in all my tracks! It didn't happen a few days ago, and all my original audio files are actually clear. Do you have any idea , how I can fix it? Thanks
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Crackling sounds in all my tracks.

Hey there, many cracks appear in all my tracks! It didn't happen a few days ago, and all my original audio files are actually clear. Do you have any idea , how I can fix it? Thanks
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I just uploaded a song on my account and there is MAJOR hiss and distortion on th....

I am having a problem with a track I uploaded which has hiss and distortion on it which is NOT on my copy of it...this is the track:https://soundcloud.com/anthony-battaglia-9/the-void-behind-your-eyes Can this be fixed?
Userlevel 1
So why does soundcloud limit the bitrate to 128kbps when the site is all about sound? Why can you not do at least 320kbps?
I agree with Mattakatt. Even youtube has 384 kbps for stereo nowdays...and they are not about sound quality at all.
I think 320 kbps MP3 (or 256 kbps AAC) would be great enough.
Maybe you should do something like HD/HQ tag for a higher bitrate format.

The good news are that the quality of sound cards, headphones and sound systems are getting better and better. You can now have a $10k audiophile sound from the beginnig of the 90`s for less than $1000 in your home, be it a good pair of audio monitors or good headphones with a decent DAP.

So despite the fact that a majority of the people used to hear 128 kbps internet audio quality at best, I think (hope for) this injustice will be changed and we finally get closer to what sound producers meant us to hear.
I tried a 128kbps MP3 upload, and the quality on SC was still much worse than the original file. I'm disgusted.
I tried a 128kbps MP3 upload, and the quality on SC was still much worse than the original file. I'm disgusted.
LOL!!! Fuck this! I also get charged every month for 8$ to have my 16Bit WAV songs converted to 128kbps...??! I didn't know all that for like 5 fucking years and wondered why my music sounds like shit