Answered

download security

• 17 March 2015
  • 1 reply

I'm wondering how "good" the security is for tracks who hasn't got "download" enabled.
There seems to be several tools out there on the web (SC-downloader, Off-liberty etc.) that claims to rip the audio from SC-servers to end users.
I want to know, how good is the security if I upload a track and keep it private?
Will it be downloadable for people possessing the private link (even though downloads on SC-settings is disabled)?
And - if so - will the download quality be the same as from my upload?
As a producer of original material, I'd - in that case - greatly reduce the quality of my upload, to prevent misuse.
icon

Best answer by Mathis 18 March 2015, 11:35

Hi there HØGH,

Thank you for posting. SoundCloud uses the most widely supported streaming protocol to ensure your sounds can be played everywhere, by everyone, across the web. When someone hits play on a track, the technology behind this streaming protocol is put into action to make sure your track can be played. By using a streaming technology which is widely supported, we can make sure that your content is playable on all devices, and browsers.

Websites and tools like the ones you're referring to are exploiting vulnerabilities which are inherent in this streaming technology, which allows them to rip the stream and provide it for download elsewhere. This means that they are not downloading the original file you have uploaded with us, but instead the streamed audio (which is 128 kbps). This is the downside to using a system which allows you to be heard by everyone, everywhere.

While our developers are doing all they can to improve the security of our streams, there are a number of measures you may want to consider to prevent unauthorized downloads of your content. While we cannot guarantee that this will stop these sites from accessing your content without your permission, it will put you in the best position possible to prevent people from downloading content without your consent.

- If you have not done so already, disable downloads on your tracks
- Disable app playback, so that your track will not be playable outside of the SoundCloud platform and our own apps (i.e. the official SoundCloud iOS and Android apps)

Hope this helps to shed some light on the situation for you. If you have further questions or concerns around this, I'd actually recommend to reach out to our Trust & Safety team. You can do so via email here.

All the best,
Mathis
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there HØGH,

Thank you for posting. SoundCloud uses the most widely supported streaming protocol to ensure your sounds can be played everywhere, by everyone, across the web. When someone hits play on a track, the technology behind this streaming protocol is put into action to make sure your track can be played. By using a streaming technology which is widely supported, we can make sure that your content is playable on all devices, and browsers.

Websites and tools like the ones you're referring to are exploiting vulnerabilities which are inherent in this streaming technology, which allows them to rip the stream and provide it for download elsewhere. This means that they are not downloading the original file you have uploaded with us, but instead the streamed audio (which is 128 kbps). This is the downside to using a system which allows you to be heard by everyone, everywhere.

While our developers are doing all they can to improve the security of our streams, there are a number of measures you may want to consider to prevent unauthorized downloads of your content. While we cannot guarantee that this will stop these sites from accessing your content without your permission, it will put you in the best position possible to prevent people from downloading content without your consent.

- If you have not done so already, disable downloads on your tracks
- Disable app playback, so that your track will not be playable outside of the SoundCloud platform and our own apps (i.e. the official SoundCloud iOS and Android apps)

Hope this helps to shed some light on the situation for you. If you have further questions or concerns around this, I'd actually recommend to reach out to our Trust & Safety team. You can do so via email here.

All the best,
Mathis