Answered

Exact audio quality

• 8 November 2016
  • 5 replies

Hey guys!
I would like to know some exact numbers on data audio rates etc.
Is Soundcloud still converting to 128kbps to provide a proper streaming?
Is it CBR (Constant Bit Rate) or VBR (Variable Bit Rate)?
Is it stereo or joint stereo?
Which encoders is used? (eg. LAME)

If i make my own file in 128kbps CBR Stereo with LAME, is it ensured that no converting is done to my track?

Kind regards
DonPedro
icon

Best answer by Mathis 18 April 2017, 16:44

Hi DonPedro,

We're still converting into 128kbps stereo mp3 audio for the purpose of streaming. Every track that you upload, regardless of its previous audio format and quality, will be encoded. Hence, I'd recommend to upload a wav file to your SoundCloud account for the best possible encoding.

Apart from that, this article on Mixing / Mastering might be an interesting read for you.

Cheers
Mathis
View original

5 replies

If it's dB levels like these you're looking for then just copy these EQ settings on the bottom half of the pic too whatever it is you use that changes around audio settings.

For more in depth of what the exact levels are:

31 = 3dB, 62 = 2dB, 125 = 1dB, 250 = 0dB, 500 = 0dB, 1k = 0dB, 2k = 0dB, 4k = 1dB, 8k = 2dB, 16k = 2dB.

That's as close as I could get it too match what the audio sounds like on SoundCloud, I could be wrong bout this being the actual EQ for what it sounds like on SoundCloud but aye best I can get it.
Hi DonPedro,

We're still converting into 128kbps stereo mp3 audio for the purpose of streaming. Every track that you upload, regardless of its previous audio format and quality, will be encoded. Hence, I'd recommend to upload a wav file to your SoundCloud account for the best possible encoding.

Apart from that, this article on Mixing / Mastering might be an interesting read for you.

Cheers
Mathis

Wish you’d have answered his questions tho.

You didn’t say what version of LAME, and with what parameters, was used.

You also didn’t answer his question regarding bypassing the unnecessary conversion if a file is uploaded with the exact same settings you use on your side.

Regards,
Tao Schreiner
Userlevel 1
Hi SC Community and support,

I'm aslo interested in high quality audio and an equalizer for the mobile application since i own a portable amp and a proper headphone.

I'd like to say that SC teams are doing a great job I really like SC, the last tunes are often here, new artist, etc. I'm always the one in my group of friend making others discover new songs so thank you SC !

The thing is, i'm also a basshead and let's say some king off bassy "audiophile" so just like monaineko, audio quality matters a lot.

Artists are doing a great job mastering songs with their team, let's pay them a tribute and honor their work with better audio quality.

It always go back to money, so yes I'm ok to pay up to €15/month for lossless or high quality( at least 320kbit/s).
Userlevel 2
I would subscribe to Go+ if you offer 320kbps streaming. that's the only feature i'm interested in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi DonPedro,

Cheers
Mathis