Question

How do you replace a song with an updated version?

• 2 October 2015
  • 15 replies

I'm having trouble locating the option to replace tracks that I recently uploaded with new versions. Every time I click on an individual track on the playlist I created for our album it just gives me the standard pop-up screen allowing me to change the description, meta data, etc. I can't find an individual track option to update each track within the playlist.

I did find this tutorial, but again I'm having trouble figuring out how to get to this page: http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/247670-i-d-like-to-replace-or-update-a-file-can-...

Is it because I'm not using a Pro Account?

-Josh

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Josh,

It is indeed. The feature to replace a file that's on your SoundCloud account already is a Pro and Pro Unlimited feature only.
Actually I prefer the Delete and Re-upload again.
You may say that is an Old Fashion, but in that case, at least my followers would know that I updated the track with a new one.
So if I replace a file with a pro account, when my subscription ends the new file still stays there right?
Hi Josh,

It is indeed. The feature to replace a file that's on your SoundCloud account already is a Pro and Pro Unlimited feature only.

Hi Mathis - will the listen count restart? We have one title with 2500 but want to update the track to include a new intro. We want to do this without effecting any of the stats.
This does not work with pro account
Does it work or doesn't it? Can't seem to make it work
I would also like to know if this is a feature or not? Or if it's in the pro accounts or not?

Can't find it anywhere, help sections are vague about it. I'm surprised I have to invest this much time to find the answer to this pretty clear question.
I simply can't get it to work..
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi everyone,

Sorry about the confusion around all of this. Now let's see - I've checked our resources and am afraid the article on our Help Center that we used to have is currently not available, hence all the searching. Yikes - we're looking into this.

First things first: replacing a track without losing he stats does require a Pro or Pro Unlimited subscription.

Now, in order to replace a file without losing the comments, likes, reposts or play counts, here's what you'll have to do:

1. Make sure you're signed in to the account from which you've uploaded the track on your computer web browser.
2. Go to the direct URL of the track.
3. Click on the small pen icon under the waveform. This will bring you to the track's edit mode.
4. On the top part of the page that opens, you'll see a button that says "Replace file". Click on it and choose the new audio file.
5. Wait until it has been fully uploaded, maybe add a note in the description about your new mix, then save the changes.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mathis

P.S.: Should this not work for you, please make sure to run our basic troubleshooting (clear cache & cookies, disable 3rd party extension (AdBlock etc.), try your browser's private mode or an alternate browser). If the issue remains afterwards, please explain where during the process the error appears and what happens.

The confusion is as gratuitous as the "replace" function itself. Simply delete your track and upload the new version. Guaranteed to work every time. Unless of course your precious 'stats' matter more to you than the underlying track, in which case sell all your recording equipment immediately and buy a 'selfie stick'.
Hi everyone,

Sorry about the confusion around all of this. Now let's see - I've checked our resources and am afraid the article on our Help Center that we used to have is currently not available, hence all the searching. Yikes - we're looking into this.

First things first: replacing a track without losing he stats does require a Pro or Pro Unlimited subscription.

Now, in order to replace a file without losing the comments, likes, reposts or play counts, here's what you'll have to do:

1. Make sure you're signed in to the account from which you've uploaded the track on your computer web browser.
3. Click on the small pen icon under the waveform. This will bring you to the track's edit mode.
4. On the top part of the page that opens, you'll see a button that says "Replace file". Click on it and choose the new audio file.
5. Wait until it has been fully uploaded, maybe add a note in the description about your new mix, then save the changes.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mathis

P.S.: Should this not work for you, please make sure to run our basic troubleshooting (clear cache & cookies, disable 3rd party extension (AdBlock etc.), try your browser's private mode or an alternate browser). If the issue remains afterwards, please explain where during the process the error appears and what happens.

I'm not seeing the replace file button.
I switched to a Pro account and it is 100% showing the two options to "DL original" file and "Replace file". I wasn't too sold on paying for Pro at first but for users with no play counts to begin with I think it's worth it IMO to keep the small popularity and the best sound you can give your viewers.
But can anyone answer what happens to the track after a months subscription ends. does the track remain updated or revert.
But can anyone answer what happens to the track after a months subscription ends. does the track remain updated or revert. i need to know the answer also
Hi everyone,

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mathis

Hi Mathis!

Could you please tell me if the secret link to a track I replace will be the same so I don't have to send out new emails to my clients with a different song link if I update the file?

Thanks