Question

How long does the limit of 3 hours of uploads last for?

• 25 December 2014
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1
Like is it only 3 hours of free uploads per week, month or forever? Sorry if it's a silly question, Soundcloud's website doesn't give a clear answer.

18 replies

Userlevel 6
Hi Mark,

Thanks for visiting the help forums.

I can understand a mild amount of confusion on this one, we are used to usually being told we have so many megabytes or gigabytes of storage available so to be given a time alowance can throw you off balance a little.

Its best to think of that 3 hours as storage space. So, you start with 3 hours & lets say you have a tune that is 10 mins long (just for the purposes of explanation). You upload that tune which then takes up 10 minutes of that 3 hour space, leaving you 2 hours and 50 mins of space available to upload more tunes. If you did a 3 hour dj mix for example, then that would take up all of the storage space in one go. Once you run out of space and you need to upload more tracks then you can either delete some of the older tunes to free up some space or upgrade to one of the pro packages which give you either 6 hours of space (Pro) or unlimited space (Pro Unlimited). When you are uploading a track you will be given a message telling you how many minutes of space you have available.

Hope that clarifies it for you :)

Any other questions or queries please don't hesitate to visit here again. Alternativly, a lot of useful information can be found here as well

http://help.soundcloud.com/

Happy Soundclouding :)

Regards

DJ R.I.P
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the quick reply, so you are only allowed 3 hours of upload forever and it isnt a limit of 3 hours per year?

Mòran taing/Many Thanks

Mark 🙂
Userlevel 6
Thanks for the quick reply, so you are only allowed 3 hours of upload forever and it isnt a limit of 3 hours per year?

Mòran taing/Many Thanks

Mark :)

Hey there Mark,

You're more than welcome mate, here to try and help where I can :)

Yes, you have it exactly correct. 3 hours total, unless you upgrade (and the upgrades are not a fortune if 3 hours is too limited)

For a free service 3 hours is pretty decent, in fact Im sure that is an increase, I was a free user for about 4 years until very recently & I am sure it was less than 3 hours when I first signed up in 2010. It was fine for me but I guess it depends on just how much material you have got to upload.

As I said before, any further help, just give us a shout :)

(I won't insult you and attempt to type what I think is Gaelic back to you, so will opt for the lest linguistic language of the hardcore breaks music scene)

Big Ups! ;)

DJ R.I.P
Userlevel 1

Mòran taing/Many Thanks

Thanks DJ R.I.P You have answered my first question but now i have a new (related question) What happens if i have the unlimited uploads but for whatever reason I cancel it. Do all my uploads get removed from being online or will i just be stopped from uploading until i upgrade again?

Ta

Mark 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Mòran taing/Many Thanks

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your question and interest in SoundCloud accounts. When an unlimited account reverts back to free then you will be unable to further upload and all audio that exceeded the free 3 hour limit will be hidden from your account (not to be confused with deleted). This means that unless this account is again upgraded, you will not be able to access this content.

When a user downgrades an account we recommend they double check to make sure they have a back up copy of all their content.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Happy New Year to both you and the ever so helpful Dj RIP :)
Gina
Userlevel 6

Mòran taing/Many Thanks

Happy New Year to you too Gina 🙂

Mòran taing/Many Thanks

I uploaded a 3 hours set before hearing about this 3 hour uploaded limit thingy and lost all my tracks that i made! how do i delete the 3 hour set and get my tracks back? you should really put a word of warning when people upload big files...
Userlevel 6

Mòran taing/Many Thanks

hi there,

When going to the upload screen you are usually shown a message along the lines of "you have xxx minutes of upload remaining" as the below link will illustrate:

http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/247675-where-can-i-see-how-many-minutes-are-left...

Having just had a quick look at your profile I can see 6 tracks ranging in length from about 40 odd seconds to just over 3 minutes...I can't see this 3 hour set you have uploaded, have you been able to delete it already?

Mòran taing/Many Thanks

I think it's a bad deal. If I have to pay just to post my stuff, then I should be able to charge people to listen to it. Evens out.
Hi Mark,

I can understand a mild amount of confusion on this one, we are used to usually being told we have so many megabytes or gigabytes of storage available so to be given a time alowance can throw you off balance a little.

Its best to think of that 3 hours as storage space. So, you start with 3 hours & lets say you have a tune that is 10 mins long (just for the purposes of explanation). You upload that tune which then takes up 10 minutes of that 3 hour space, leaving you 2 hours and 50 mins of space available to upload more tunes. If you did a 3 hour dj mix for example, then that would take up all of the storage space in one go. Once you run out of space and you need to upload more tracks then you can either delete some of the older tunes to free up some space or upgrade to one of the pro packages which give you either 6 hours of space (Pro) or unlimited space (Pro Unlimited). When you are uploading a track you will be given a message telling you how many minutes of space you have available.

Any other questions or queries please don't hesitate to visit here again. Alternativly, a lot of useful information can be found here as well

Regards

DJ R.I.P

I have just deleated about 30 minutes and there is still no space left. How long does it take until soundcloud recognizes that?
Hi Mark,

Regards

DJ R.I.P

yeah i also got the same problem i deleted 2 mixes that last an hour and it still says i have no space left...
Hi Mark,

Regards

DJ R.I.P

i think it took about three 1-3hours then it worked 😉
so do you get additional 6hrs on top of your 3hrs, or just an extra 3hrs? for the pro plan
These replies are all very complicated and don't need to be.

The 3 hour (Free account) and 6 hour (Pro account) are duration caps that are in place forever. You get 3 hours or 6 hours of audio space and that's it. You fill up your limit, you have to delete stuff to free up space.

The Pro Unlimited account is unlimited. You pay more money and get as much space as you like.

I'm new here and these duration caps seem very limiting and weird considering how there are no forever caps on most video sharing sites (vimeo, youtube etc), just weekly or monthly caps that you can keep adding to so long as you keep to your monthly or weekly allocation. And they are calculated by data size, not duration as is the case on SoundCloud. Which makes more sense to me. Perhaps SoundCloud use some sort of complicated algorithm that means the duration is more important that data size, I don't know. All seems strange to me.
I can't believe a pro account only gives you 6 hours of uploading data. I make mixes, mostly up to 1 or 2 hours, so I can only place 1 or 2 mixes with my (currently) free account. But I don't understand why there is a pro account, because 3 or 6 hours is really not that much of a difference. I think a pro account should be 6 hours a month or something because otherwise, it has completely no use at all.
Userlevel 3
I think a pro account should be 6 hours a month or something because otherwise, it has completely no use at all.

you make good a point regarding the upload time but the benefits of a pro account that isn't unlimited are great for my needs. I can repost all the tracks I want from other users and still be able to keep five of my tracks in the spotlight at the top of my profile. I can see which members are listening to my music and convert them to followers if they're on the fence. plus, I get an orange star next to my name. 😃
This is so confusing and a complete scam. I upgraded to pro $72/y that gives me 360mins. I have an album with 20 tracks that totals 1 hour and 30 mins. I upload 6 of the tracks, and my upload time went to zero. WHAT? I have not even started using the service. My first time. I contacted support for help. Waiting for an answer.

If you really think about it, the entire system is extremely flawed. Being able to listen to ad free music at a higher quality should be incentive enough to buy soundcloud go (a $16 subscription). Youtube doesn’t make people pay for youtube premium to upload videos. Being limited to what you can upload by an arbitrary time limit is quite an anti consumer practice. For example, the new artist is unable to gain as much exposure because, as soundcloud itself says “more tracks equals more listens.” Not only this, but soundcloud is being hurt by the deal, as well; if artists are less likely to be heard, then that means they are less likely to gain ad revenue, less ad revenue means less money for the creator and soundcloud. This has caused more and more people to cut out using soundcloud all together and using bandcamp, or some other, more convenient streaming service to upload their music. Soundcloud needs to completely redo their entire business model before it’s too late.