Answered

How loud in LUFS should i master my tracks for soundcloud?

• 26 August 2015
  • 69 replies

Is there a max loudness on soundcloud? If so.. how much in LUFS?
icon

Best answer by Mathis 15 January 2016, 14:08

Hi there everyone,

Thank you for contributing here. For general feature request queries, please read this convo to learn how to best forward your ideas to us. Other then that, please don't worry, we don't ignore you. 🙂 This convo has been forwarded to the relevant product team for reference.

All the best
Mathis
View original

69 replies

Hi there everyone,

Thank you for contributing here. For general feature request queries, please read this convo to learn how to best forward your ideas to us. Other then that, please don't worry, we don't ignore you. 🙂 This convo has been forwarded to the relevant product team for reference.

All the best
Mathis

Why is there no response to the LUFS question...
Hey Mathis, are there any plans for SC to integrate LUFS? Spotify, Youtube and iTunes all do at this point. As a producer (who prefers SC over the others, by the way) it would be so fantastic for SC to also use a LUFS standard.
Thanks,
Ian

Yeah, it's pretty annoying right now to say the least... I have to brickwall limit the tracks that I produce in order for them to be the same volume. It costs me countless hours because I usually have to do an additional mixdown just for soundcloud. This problem has already been addressed and the loudness wars are over! Soundcloud is the last standing authority make life hard! -Please get onboard with LUFS so we can keep music dynamic!
Ahem. F*cks given = 0.

Soundcloud, are you there?
2 years passend, still nothing. Even Spotify has implemented ist in 2017. Soundcloud is a complete joke!
C'mon Soundcloud - any progress on this? You know it makes sense.
Any updates if this will be added? Or ReplayGain functionality?
Hi there everyone,

All the best
Mathis

Hi Mathis,

Is there any new information if and when the implementation of this loudness normalization could take place?
For lack of a better place to vent this idea awsell and keep this thread alive till it's there:

Please go with LUFS normalization (-14 db... -16 @-1dB TP).
Thanks
Userlevel 3
Hi there everyone,

All the best
Mathis

I agree, thanks for the reply, Mathis.
Hopefully we'll see this implemented on SoundCloud soon !
Userlevel 2
Hi there everyone,

All the best
Mathis

Thank you for the clarification, Mathis. SoundCloud quickly merging my related question with the how to contact us properly discussion felt demoralizing. I appreciate the, "we don't ignore you." Many companies are guilty of shuffling folk to the next line when they could do the work of forwarding the information internally... Thanks for passing along the conversation to the relevant product team, and I hope the comments from the experts on the related thread will be passed along too. Kind regards, Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there everyone,

All the best
Mathis
I also support loudness normalisation. I've nothing to add to the other comments other than to second the notion that Soundcloud should be at the forefront of audio quality improvements.
Userlevel 2
https://www.soundcloudcommunity.com/soundcloud/topics/when-will-soundcloud-implement-the-established...
Please consider following before they respond? Thanks.
Userlevel 2
https://www.soundcloudcommunity.com/soundcloud/topics/when-will-soundcloud-implement-the-established...
Userlevel 2
This question has been "answered," but I believe it would behoove someone at Soundcloud to consider escalating the issues comprised for their serious implications. There's glory in doing so. There's really no good reason to not perform lossless loudness normalization in 2016.
As this thread is answered, I've raised the question...

Userlevel 2
This question has been "answered," but I believe it would behoove someone at Soundcloud to consider escalating the issues comprised for their serious implications. There's glory in doing so. There's really no good reason to not perform lossless loudness normalization in 2016.
The ellipsis "..." was for the rest of you to insert the optimum language given SoundCloud's country of origin. E.g., taking from Ian's comment...

When will SoundCloud get around to implementing the established AES (Audio Engineering Society) guidelines for streaming loudness? (They recommend normalising @ no higher than -16 LUFS or equivalent level, ie. the same as iTunes Radio: http://www.aes.org/technical/documents/AESTD1004_1_15_10.pdf)
There is no normalization in the german iTunes Store. Just measured.
I am not sure what target iTunes is aiming at. Seems to me that the goal of consistent playback levels is not achieved very well.
Userlevel 2
Sorry... but different from what? Individual numbers ... or loudness adjustments are based on what is going in in that song/file/mix/master.

Even just having peaks over -1dBFS will make iTunes lower the volume regardless if it otherwise hits their loudness sweetspot.

I guess what you're saying is that we're not sure of what exactly iTunes is aiming at loudness wise?
There are still significantly different Playback levels.
Userlevel 2
When you say... ["5 dbLUFS difference on the old Police track. That means to me ITunes output is around 5db lowered but not normalized."] ... what do you mean by "not normalized"?

Isn't it exactly normalized when the loudness/volume has been adjusted according to a target?
Userlevel 2
-19 LUFS?
With Soundcheck on everything goes to -19 dbLU
Even when played from the store. That is pretty amazing.
Userlevel 2
Do you get the same levelling when you play the file in iTunes and Sound Check is on?
Userlevel 2
or Where can we download the "Mastered for Soundcloud" manual?