Question

How to get a non-compliant person to take down our music?

• 14 March 2015
  • 4 replies

So a friend and I produced and mixed an EP with another artist we released around October. We made the beats, mixed the vocals and even made the artwork. Fast forward to late February. The artist we worked with doesn't keep in contact and is virtually performing songs and promoting the music without telling us. We then ask her to keep us in the loop and she continues to ignore our messages. Long story short, we finally agree to cut ties with one another, I suggest she removes the songs from her SC (a total of 7) and we go on with our lives. She refuses/ignores that option and will, more than likely, continue to use those songs to support her music. I find it frustrating that she wishes to keep music online that neither of us want to be associated with.

I see there's a whole report portion but it talks about possible attorneys and aligning with legal code and I don't know if that's the best course of action.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
hi Salim,

Thanks for visiting the help forums :)

Well, I certainly don't envy your situation and you have my sympathies, never nice when a musical collaboration goes south.

Your query may be a little out of this forums depth in all honesty, I could only suggest to take the action that you state you have already done in terms of contacting the other person in question. If they haven't the decency to reply, well I can only shake my head in disappointment at that 😞 I would say you could just report the tracks for copyright infringement but I assume the vocals are from the person you are having this issue with so Im not 100% how you would stand on that legally.

The best thing that I can suggest to get a more knowledgeable input on your situation would be to contact the copyright and/or legal team at soundcloud. You can get in touch with them via the contact form here:

http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/emails/new

I think they will be better placed to advise on this issue. (I would copy & paste the url to this forum topic as well when you get in touch, will save you having to go over certain details again + provide a url to your own profile as well as the user who you are having this problem with)

I hope this all gets sorted out with the minimum amount of fuss.

Regards

DJ R.I.P
hi Salim,

Thanks for visiting the help forums :)

Well, I certainly don't envy your situation and you have my sympathies, never nice when a musical collaboration goes south.

Your query may be a little out of this forums depth in all honesty, I could only suggest to take the action that you state you have already done in terms of contacting the other person in question. If they haven't the decency to reply, well I can only shake my head in disappointment at that 😞 I would say you could just report the tracks for copyright infringement but I assume the vocals are from the person you are having this issue with so Im not 100% how you would stand on that legally.

The best thing that I can suggest to get a more knowledgeable input on your situation would be to contact the copyright and/or legal team at soundcloud. You can get in touch with them via the contact form here:

http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/emails/new

I think they will be better placed to advise on this issue. (I would copy & paste the url to this forum topic as well when you get in touch, will save you having to go over certain details again + provide a url to your own profile as well as the user who you are having this problem with)

I hope this all gets sorted out with the minimum amount of fuss.

Regards

DJ R.I.P

I appreciate the reply and I'm glad I didn't seem like a envious or bitter producer lol, cause that isn't the case! I appreciate the sympathy and I decided to follow your advice and contact cutsomer support and see what they could do.

Yes, you are correct, the vocals are from said individual so that's what creates a grey area here, making me hesitant to file a copyright complaint. I have all the raw tracks and mixes to prove I did all this work and would just like to have it solved peacefully.

Thanks again,
Salim
Bump? I've gotten no reply From soundcloud yet
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Bump? I've gotten no reply From soundcloud yet
Hi Salim,

Sorry, we have limited coverage of our Copyright emails over the weekend. Looks like your email was answered earlier today with instructions on how to proceed with a take down request. Hope this gets resolved for you quickly!

Best wishes,
Gina