Question

how to record my voice on soundcloud

• 19 February 2015
  • 9 replies

1st time using soundcloud. How shall I record my own voice?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there VARCOMM',

Welcome to SoundCloud and to our help forum 🙂 I see you've tried uploading your first two recordings, however these failed to fully upload and process for one reason or another. How were you trying to record and upload this? Was this on a computer, or on a mobile device?

For starters, what I'd recommend in general, is to use software or an app where you can record into a real project or track file that's stored on your device, then upload it at a later point. This way you can a) edit your recording and b) have a backup in case something goes wrong during the upload. From what I can see in your particular case, it looks like the internet connection might have disconnected during the upload at some point.

If you're on a computer, Audacity might be a good starting point. It is a freeware software to record audio. Once you export the recording into a .wav or .mp3 file, you can go to SoundCloud.com/upload and upload it to your account.

Hope this helps to get you started. Feel free to let us know how it goes, or if you have further questions - happy to help :-)

Cheers,
Mathis
Sorry, I am not VARCOMM I am steve lambert
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey Steve,

Sorry about this - most certainly, someone called VARCOMM' write in in the first place, asking how to record. Do you have the same question? Then the reply to VARCOMM' applies to you as well. Or, am I overlooking something here?

Cheers
Mathis
Hi there VARCOMM',

Welcome to SoundCloud and to our help forum 🙂 I see you've tried uploading your first two recordings, however these failed to fully upload and process for one reason or another. How were you trying to record and upload this? Was this on a computer, or on a mobile device?

For starters, what I'd recommend in general, is to use software or an app where you can record into a real project or track file that's stored on your device, then upload it at a later point. This way you can a) edit your recording and b) have a backup in case something goes wrong during the upload. From what I can see in your particular case, it looks like the internet connection might have disconnected during the upload at some point.

If you're on a computer, Audacity might be a good starting point. It is a freeware software to record audio. Once you export the recording into a .wav or .mp3 file, you can go to SoundCloud.com/upload and upload it to your account.

Hope this helps to get you started. Feel free to let us know how it goes, or if you have further questions - happy to help :-)

Cheers,
Mathis

So, it is better to use a program like Audacity to record, say, an a capella song, and then upload it to soundcloud? I have also been trying to figure out how to use soundcloud to record my son singing a song with accompaniment back up, either with recorded music via IPAD or guitar. The computer mike only picks up his voice; not the recorded music or accompaniment. Would audacity be better for this? Thanks for your help!
Userlevel 6
Hi there VARCOMM',

Cheers,
Mathis

Hi there,

Mathis isn't around over the weekend, he's lucky enough to work for soundcloud. Me, on the other hand, I'm a user of soundcloud & just wander on here & help out where I can & I think I can certainly try answering this addition to your query for you (hope you don't mind!)

Audacity is "just" (he says, for a free program its pretty good, not somthing I use very often but have utilised it on a few occasions) a piece of software that allows you to record sounds via your computer mic or whatever mike you have plugged into your computer. Its advantage is you are then able to edit that recording, cut bits out, change the volume levels etc etc, but its not going to suddenly enable your mike to pick up things it wasn't recording before.

So, for a plain accapella performance, no backing, audacity will do the job nicely with the benefits Mathis outlined for you above.

OK, regarding the musical accompaniment you mentioned. Audacity can do somthing called "overdubbing". This is where you record one element of the track then play that back and record another element over the top, then play that back & record a third element and so on and so forth, building the song up in layers. Listen to Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry, Be Happy", everything you hear in that song, I mean EVERYTHING, is Bobby, he recorded each part of the track separately using overdubbing so he could harmonise with himself as well as adding all the other sounds you hear (I would imagine the original Tubular Bells was, in large part, recorded in a similar fashion as well, unless Mike Oldfield has more arms than he's letting on about and can actually play ALL of those instruments simultaneously..haha! I doubt it, the man's good, but not that good!))

In your case its not quite so complicated. You will already have the backing track ready so that just needs to play in audacity while your sons vocals are recorded over the top. To do this with a certain degree of success you will need a pair of headphones, ideally the large "Princess Leia" over the ear ones would be best, little personal in the ear ones will do at a push but a halfway decent pair of larger headphones doesn't need to cost the earth either, see what you can achieve with what you've got initially and take it from there. The reason for the headphones is that you only want the computer to record your sons voice, it doesn't need to record the backing track as it already has that, so you don't want the backing track coming out the computer speakers as well as this will cause all kinds of weird recording feedback problems etc!! with the headphones plugged into the computer, your son will still hear the backing track and can sing along into the microphone. When done the computer will have then recorded your sons voice over the backing track which you can then save as one audio file (mp3 or WAV most universally accepted & played).

You may have to experiment with microphone levels or the levels of the backing track itself as you don't want one overpowering the other, but theres is lots of support & user guides available for audacity, I will include one here about overdubbing as its relevant & will explain the process & procedure in a little more clearer detail for you. Its looks a bit scary at first but if you follow the guides you will soon figure out how to use the software.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/tutorial_recording_multi_track_overdubs.html
I hope this helps, whilst it is involved to a degree, if you already have a laptop or pc you can get a ground level recording studio for very minimal, if any, spend at all :)

Any other queries or if what I've just typed was a bit much, just give us a shout back, as Mathis says, we're happy to help :)

Regards

DJ R.I.P
Hi there VARCOMM',

Cheers,
Mathis

Thanks so much, DJ; we will give it a go!
actually would you tell me how can i listen the recorded song before uploading the file
Can you record directly into soundcloud or do you have to record elsewhere and then upload?
Okay so I am simply having trouble how to just record any sound. I have searched everywhere and can NOT Find a way to just record