Question

ID Tags for Lossless Audio

Hi. I am using Limited Run to manage my audio tracks to Soundcloud. I have uploaded the lossless files (.wav) and Soundcloud handles transcoding to MP3 when users download the music.

Issue is, all the ID tags I added to the lossless audio are stripped when downloaded. How do I allow users to download the music with ID tags remaining in tact?

Thanks

5 replies

Thanks for the reply. So do you know who actually does the transcoding for a digital download (not stream)?

It is uploaded to SoundCloud via Limited Run. I have also reached out to Limited Run asking this question.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies. It turns out the tags were intact to begin with but weren't displaying due to the version of tags being v2.4. Converting to v2.3 lets Windows explorer and older players see the id tags.

Thanks again for the help.
Thanks for the reply. So do you know who actually does the transcoding for a digital download (not stream)?

It is uploaded to SoundCloud via Limited Run. I have also reached out to Limited Run asking this question.

Thanks again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

If you enable downloads for your tracks, the file that other users can download will be the exact same file that you've uploaded. SoundCloud transcodes your uploads for the purpose of streaming only, but the download will contain the file you uploaded.

Hence, there should be no loss of information. I'm not familiar with Limited Run, but maybe they apply a change before the upload is done?

Please make sure to provide an example track if this needs further investigation by other forum users.

Cheers
Mathis
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks again.

Hi again,

If you're saying you're tagging your files properly, however when you download through SoundCloud, the tags are getting lost, I would figure that Limited Run is doing some sort of transcoding before the upload actually, as no transcoding is applied, neither by SoundCloud nor any other service when a user clicks on the "Download" button on SoundCloud (which will only show if downloads are enabled for a track).
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks again.

Ah super valuable information for anyone else running into the same kind of trouble - thanks so much for sharing this on the help forum!