Question

Is it legal to upload a bootleg remix?

• 20 December 2014
  • 5 replies

5 replies

Userlevel 6
hi 7even

Thanks for visiting the help forums :)

My initial feeling on this is that the answer would be a simple "no". However I would suggest the best bet would be to get in touch with the legal & copyright team via the email section.

Kudos for double checking instead of just uploading, best thing to do if you not 100% sure :)

Regards

DJ R.I.P
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi 7even,

Copyright matters are complex when you get into detail, and djraveinpeace is absolutely right in referring you to our copyrights team.

In general, we expect our users to upload only content for which they either own all copyrights themselves, or have explicit permission to publish the content on SoundCloud.

Again, our CR team will be able to provide answers should you have further questions or concerns around this :-)

Cheers,
Mathis
Hi there,

Could you please tell me for what track was I referred by djraveinpeace? so I can answer you about that! It would help me to understand your point. ... and another thing: All these bootlegs that are posted , you mean that they are all legal? all these free downloads are legal? Why they are called bootlegs then? .... and another thing, if i post my tracks or remixes for non commercial reasons and just to show my producing skills why it isn't legal? and one last think.....before not so long ago, if a user would upload an illegal track, soundcloud was informing him and the track wasn't uploaded. Why this is not happens now? I have invested a lot of money and time on soundcloud and I would like to have clear answers in order to avoid any mistakes in the future. Thank you for your reply in advance.
Userlevel 6
Hi there,

Could you please tell me for what track was I referred by djraveinpeace? so I can answer you about that! It would help me to understand your point. ... and another thing: All these bootlegs that are posted , you mean that they are all legal? all these free downloads are legal? Why they are called bootlegs then? .... and another thing, if i post my tracks or remixes for non commercial reasons and just to show my producing skills why it isn't legal? and one last think.....before not so long ago, if a user would upload an illegal track, soundcloud was informing him and the track wasn't uploaded. Why this is not happens now? I have invested a lot of money and time on soundcloud and I would like to have clear answers in order to avoid any mistakes in the future. Thank you for your reply in advance.

Hi 7even,

Just to clarify, I think you may be confusing the fact that Mathis has stated that i've referred you to the copyrights team in the same vein as if I'd reported one of your tracks, nothing like that at all mate, its meant more in regards that I've pointed you in their direction to be able to answer your query regarding copyrights. I've not reported you to anyone, please don't worry on that front. Here to try & help, not hinder :)

As to whether all the bootlegs are legal, well, I imagine there is quite a volume of them on here, difficult to lump them all in one hole to say they legal or not, free downloads themselves, if the artist has made the download available then that in itself I would imagine to be legal but then, depends on whether the track itself is legal or not...its a bit of a minefield when you start to look at it & really requires someone who knows copyrite back to front, hence the Soundcloud Copyright team being available to contact for just these types of enquiry.

Best bet, as Mathis says, is to fire these questions at the copyrights team, as they will know much more detail regarding music copyright legality. The best answers and advice regarding your query is going to come from that department.

Regards

DJ R.I.P
I've had two bootlegs/remixes removed in the last couple of weeks, they have been on SC for years - will I get two strikes and lose my DL facility? If so how do I delete my £9 per month direct debit please?