Answered

Leave headroom for transcoding high-resolution wav files?

• 23 January 2016
  • 1 reply

I am a mastering engineer that is preparing many different formats for my clients. I was wondering if soundcloud normalizes or "sound checks" the uploaded audio to maintain a certain loudness level like the new iTunes+ platform. Its tricky when many online distribution/streaming sites use different codecs for encoding so currently I have been preparing many different files with different output levels to accommodate these differences but it really slows down my workflow.

In short the question is if I should leave headroom on the uploaded high resolution wav files (-1dbfs) to prevent clipping from the transcoding process. What is the best way to guarantee unclipped files on soundcloud without sacrificing loudness? Thanks in advance-

Bobby
Raytown Productions
icon

Best answer by Mathis 26 January 2016, 11:19

Hi Bobby,

There currently is no normalisation or loudness metering done. All of our users' uploads get encoded to 128kbps mp3 audio files, however when they allow for others to download their tracks, the downloadable file will be the exact same file the creator uploaded. This might be of interest for you (I guess if you're a mastering engineer, you've come across similar articles before).

Other then that, there is a longer discussion on the matter here on our help forum. It's been forwarded to the relevant team for reference.

All the best
Mathis
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Bobby,

There currently is no normalisation or loudness metering done. All of our users' uploads get encoded to 128kbps mp3 audio files, however when they allow for others to download their tracks, the downloadable file will be the exact same file the creator uploaded. This might be of interest for you (I guess if you're a mastering engineer, you've come across similar articles before).

Other then that, there is a longer discussion on the matter here on our help forum. It's been forwarded to the relevant team for reference.

All the best
Mathis