Answered

Making a private track public - does it go to top of feed?

• 4 September 2018
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 2
If I upload a track and keep it private right from the start, then at a later date decide to make it public, does it get pushed to the top of my follower's feeds at the time I first make it public, or does it just end up far down in their feed where it would've been had I made it public at the time I originally uploaded it?

I know Pro accounts have the ability to schedule releases, but I'm asking something different here.

Thanks for the help.
icon

Best answer by Navid 19 September 2018, 16:49

- Exactly, that is the way it's supposed to work right now. If a track has been uploaded as a private track, then made public at a later date - that date will count as the 'first published' date and get pushed to the top of your follower's streams. I will let our engineering team know about this just to make sure it's working the way it's intended. Thanks for letting us know!
View original

15 replies

Userlevel 2
Well I just found my answer. I uploaded a song privately a week ago and made it public lastnight. It shows up far back in the stream as if it was made public on the day I uploaded it. This means that everyone missed my song so I had to re-upload it.

I don't get why it works like this. On other sites like Youtube, if you upload a video and keep it private from the start, the first time you make it public it will show up as a new upload at the top of the stream for all your subscribers. Why can't Soundcloud do the same?
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Hey there,

We recently changed the way the ordering of your tracks is done on SoundCloud - it is correct that it used to be sorted by upload date. Currently however, the ordering of tracks is done after 'first published' just as you mentioned. This means that if you have uploaded a track privately and then make it public a week later, your track should be positioned at the top as the latest track published. Are you sure you didn't make the track public before? Could you let me know the URL of the track in question?

Cheers,
Navid
Userlevel 2
I kept the track private right from the start. Definitely never made it public before. I've deleted the track so I can't show you it. I had to re-upload it so that it went to the top of my follower's streams..

So you're telling me it should've got pushed to the top of my follower's streams once I made it public? Or are you just telling me it should've gone to the top of my profile page when I made it public but not to the top of my follower's streams?

My concern is about where it appears in my follower's streams. And from my testing, it did not go to the top of theirs which means they missed the song and I had to re-upload it. Please confirm what exactly is supposed to happen in this situation.

Thanks.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
- Exactly, that is the way it's supposed to work right now. If a track has been uploaded as a private track, then made public at a later date - that date will count as the 'first published' date and get pushed to the top of your follower's streams. I will let our engineering team know about this just to make sure it's working the way it's intended. Thanks for letting us know!
Userlevel 2
Ok. So it's not working as it should. I have tested it various times over the years and have always found it works the way I described. Thanks for forwarding it to the engineers though 🙂 I'll test it out again next time I upload something and see what happens.

By the way, shouldn't the author of the thread be the one who chooses the "Best answer" ?? Just sayin..
Hey @s0me0ne, I'm Stef from the engineering team. Navid is correct, it used to work differently. We did some work to improve this so if it didn't work for you, something went wrong (which is always possible!). I was wondering whether you'd be okay with sharing the users where you saw your track not appearing correctly? Maybe you could send me a private message with their usernames or permalinks? I'd love to check to see what went wrong!
Userlevel 2
Thanks for replying. I have actually uploaded another file for testing. So I will post back in a few days with my results and any info that'll help you check things if there's problems 🙂
@s0me0ne That would be great, thanks. I would REALLY appreciate if you could also let us know if you DON'T see issues. It's bugging me 🙂
Userlevel 2
Yes I will let you know either way 🙂
Userlevel 2
@s0me0ne That would be great, thanks. I would REALLY appreciate if you could also let us know if you DON'T see issues. It's bugging me :)
Ok. I uploaded a song 3 days ago and kept it private right from the start. I just made it public and have found that when I go to my stream, my song shows up far back in the list and says it was posted 3 day ago. But what should be happening is it should show up at the top of my feed and say it was only just posted, right?

When I look on my profile, it says it was just posted, but that's no use if it doesn't get pushed to the top of the stream like a new upload would.

I've PM'd you the link to the song.

Thanks.
Awesome, thank you a lot, I'll have a look as soon as I find the time
Hey, I just had a look. It was indeed a glitch. It should be fixed now, would you mind verifying?
Userlevel 2
Yeh it looks like it was fixed in my stream so I've deleted it and will do another test and post back with the results. Thanks 🙂
Userlevel 2
Ok. I just tested again and found that in my stream, the song appeared far back like before instead of appearing at the top. However, I checked on my second account it appeared at the top of the stream so appears to have worked correctly.
This is still an issue.