Question

My Songs Quality Reduced (bad)

• 27 July 2017
  • 1 reply

Hello SoundCloud staff!
The quality of the songs i upload is perceivably reduced. Why?
It seems like there is favoritism, but i wouldn't go that far for now. The thing is that most music hosting websites in 2017 allow a very high quality upload in comparision to what i'm given here. I don't even know if there's that "minutes limit" on my free account anymore and if this is the new thing to remind me that i use a free account, i will stop making further uploads here, because the songs i post are very selected and are meant to be shown to special people i send my music to.
And if you want to tell me that "No, the quality is fine", then some of us have a hearing disorder.
Can you please help me with this? I mean. you're The Soundcloud, right?
Thank you!

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Hmm, let's see. So, first things first - the quota is counted in minutes, and is not related to the size of the files you upload. Thus, you can upload uncompressed audio files such as .wav files to ensure the best quality encoding possible. We currently encode into 128kbps mp3 audio files for streaming, i.e. compression is applied, so a certain loss in quality is to be expected.

There's an article that I keep recommending to people. It might be an interesting read for you too. 🙂

Cheers
Mathis

P.S.: The Help Community is a community of SoundCloud users. It's a moderated forum basically and we (the SoundCloud moderator(s)) are doing the best we can to help wherever possible, however we're also happy for every user who helps out another user with their questions.