Question

Problem with quality.

• 26 January 2015
  • 11 replies

Can't seem to get a good quality upload.

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Hi Greg,

Thanks for visiting the help forums :)

It might be a good idea if you could provide a url to your profile & a bit more info on what it is you're not happy about quality wise. Theres a whole host of things that can cause problems and, on the other hand, whole host of things that can solve problems but its a case of knowing which problem it is that needs addressing, so some idea on what your stuff sounds like currently via your profile url, along with what you feel the problem is would be a big step in the right direction.

Any info you can provide in terms of file type used, bit rate, sample rate etc etc can all be good too.

I will also link to a related if not similar query that I answered a little while ago which may help, it may not but in the interest of doing what I can to help initially, here gos....

https://www.soundcloudcommunity.com/soundcloud/topics/how-do-you-upload-high-quality-music

I hope some of that helps & any further info you can fire this way, I will do my best to help (anyone else who may be reading this and wants to jump in & help Greg out, by all means do so 🙂 )

Regards

DJ R.I.P
Thanks for the insta reply and sorry for my bad explanation. I'm having problems with soundcloud since i started using it. I can't seem to get the close to original quality that i listen to other users, i think i've tried anything. Would be glad if you could take a look at this sample sound that i've uploaded and compare it to the original wav one by clicking the download button on soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/less1144/test
Is it supposed to sound like this? I can't hear this mud like thing nowhere else. I'm -12 db before cliping. The original wav uality track uploaded is 2822kbps. I also downloaded another daw(ableton) and exported this sound patch from my vst with over 96000 samping rate. Wierd this is that when i change this sound to mono and reupload it sounds fine...
Userlevel 6
Hi Greg,

Many thanks for coming back & for supplying the sample with download option for comparison, super SUPER helpful :)

I will be honest, I'm struggling to hear the difference between the streamed version and the downloaded wav sample..but I will hold my hands up and say that I do not have the best monitor speakers in the world so maybe the difference is more noticeable though more pro quality speakers.

Please do bear in mind that Soundcloud transcodes all music to 128kbps mp3 file which is going to have a certain effect on the overall sound quality, as to how noticeable that is will very much depend on personal preference as well as the quality of speakers or headphones that you are listening on. I will ask a friend of mine who has significantly better speakers than mine to have a quick listen & I will come back with what he says.

While I would never tell someone not to be bothered about the sound quality of their music, I would say do not to get to the point where the quest for sound quality overtakes the music making. Most people listening on soundcloud don't expect everything to be studio quality. Some artists will have a better understanding of mastering so their stuff sounds a little bit above the rest but, again, don't let this rule your life. The majority of the big name artists will generally just be in the position of being able to afford a studio engineer to do the mastering work for them. Any labels who are interested in your tunes, if they feel it needs mastering, it gets sorted at their expense. So, I applaud your desire for improvement, but don't try to do it all in one go, I guarantee it will suck all of the fun & enjoyment you get from music creation.

I will come back once my friend has had a few moments to compare the sounds for you.

Regards

DJ R.I.P
Userlevel 6
Hi Greg,

Many thanks for coming back & for supplying the sample with download option for comparison, super SUPER helpful :)

I will be honest, I'm struggling to hear the difference between the streamed version and the downloaded wav sample..but I will hold my hands up and say that I do not have the best monitor speakers in the world so maybe the difference is more noticeable though more pro quality speakers.

Please do bear in mind that Soundcloud transcodes all music to 128kbps mp3 file which is going to have a certain effect on the overall sound quality, as to how noticeable that is will very much depend on personal preference as well as the quality of speakers or headphones that you are listening on. I will ask a friend of mine who has significantly better speakers than mine to have a quick listen & I will come back with what he says.

While I would never tell someone not to be bothered about the sound quality of their music, I would say do not to get to the point where the quest for sound quality overtakes the music making. Most people listening on soundcloud don't expect everything to be studio quality. Some artists will have a better understanding of mastering so their stuff sounds a little bit above the rest but, again, don't let this rule your life. The majority of the big name artists will generally just be in the position of being able to afford a studio engineer to do the mastering work for them. Any labels who are interested in your tunes, if they feel it needs mastering, it gets sorted at their expense. So, I applaud your desire for improvement, but don't try to do it all in one go, I guarantee it will suck all of the fun & enjoyment you get from music creation.

I will come back once my friend has had a few moments to compare the sounds for you.

Regards

DJ R.I.P

Hi (again!) Greg,

Just got a word back from my producer friend, Breakbeat Scientist (just have to give him a big up for helping out!) I rate the sound quality of his work very highly so he is a good person to run this query past.

He listened through monitor speakers & headphones &, like me, could not hear a noticeable difference in either sound.

There is always a danger that when you start getting into the really minute sound quality details you can almost convince yourself there is a huge difference in sound when, to the slightly more casual listener, the sound quality is absolutely fine.

My personal suggestion at this point is get a full tune uploaded, just take the plunge as it were. By all means post a link to it on this thread, I will gladly take the time to give it a listen. I think you will find the majority of users on here are far more passionate about the music itself, not necessarily how well mastered it is.

I hope you stay in touch & look forward to hearing your musical masterpieces :)

Regards

DJ R.I.P
Hi Greg,

Regards

DJ R.I.P

I appreciate your help very much. The danger you are talking about is true and i am aware of it. I've came to some conclussions that my sampling rate might be getting on the way. I did some tests and uploaded other peoples tracks which gave me some answers. I will investigate this further.
Thanks for the answers good luck, glad for the help.
Oh i will be glad in having you as a contact somewhere since i would like a friendly third ear to listen and judge before uploading something.
Hi Greg,

Regards

DJ R.I.P

and vice versa ofcourse.
Userlevel 6
Hi Greg,

Regards

DJ R.I.P

Hey Greg,

No worries mate, you're very welcome :)

As I said before, enjoy the music side first and foremost, sound quality improvements can come over time and never underestimate the importance of communicating with other producers, especially those who work in the same music genre as yourself. I have found Soundcloud to be invaluable in terms of building very useful contacts &, in quite a few instances, friendships with like minded producers/djs/labels on here, it can take a little time but once you start chatting, commenting on other peoples work etc etc you will soon build a good base of contacts which in turn can increase your own presence on here as well as being able to utilise other peoples knowledge & sharing your own knowledge as well.

Hope you have many years of happy Soundclouding & music making :)

DJ R.I.P
Hi Greg,

Regards

DJ R.I.P

Actually listening to music at studio quality is everyone's goal,there is no point in downloading music at 128 kbps when it sounds so poorly as compared with (for example )320 kbps.
Userlevel 6
Hi Greg,

Regards

DJ R.I.P

Hi Val22,

Thanks for visiting the help forums :)

The 128kbps transcoding is only used by soundcloud for streaming purposes, its to allow for people who may not have the best internet bandwidth or those maybe utilising mobile networks but who may not have full on HSDPA 3g/4g coverage etc etc.

When it comes to downloading, you would only get a 128kbps mp3 file if that is what the artist uploaded to soundcloud in the first place. Where artists have made their tunes available for download, you get a copy of whatever file type & quality the artist uploaded..so it could be .wav, .mp3 etc etc at whatever sample & bit rate the artist chose at the time of encoding their sound for uploading.

Regards

DJ R.I.P
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Distorted file: I have converted it to MP3 but it doesn't help.

My file is distorted and inaudible. I converted it to a MP3 and that still didn't help. There are 3 versions of the file on my Soundcloud and all three have the same problem.

https://soundcloud.com/ragingfluff/he-wishes-for-the-cloths-of-heaven-by-william-butler-yeats-1
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Distorted file: I have converted it to MP3 but it doesn't help.

My file is distorted and inaudible. I converted it to a MP3 and that still didn't help. There are 3 versions of the file on my Soundcloud and all three have the same problem.

https://soundcloud.com/ragingfluff/he-wishes-for-the-cloths-of-heaven-by-william-butler-yeats-1

Hi Niall,

Hope the post above provided some help for you.

-Gina