Question

Problem with quality when uploading!

The quality on my tracks gets really bad when I upload to soundcloud, the volume gets lower etc, does anyone have any idea why. When I play the tracks on windows media player for example, the sound is much MUCH better. Any ideas??

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
hi Jacob,

Thanks for posting. We transcode all tracks to 128 kbps mp3 for streaming playback (even on internet connections that might not be as speedy as others), hence a certain amount of quality loss is actually expected due to the compression of your lossless .wav file.
However, please note that if you choose to make your track downloadable, the version users can download will be an exact copy of the version you uploaded, without any transcoding.

Btw., I've just listened to your track from over here and think it sounds great :-)

Hope this helps to shed some light on this for you.

Cheers
Mathis
So are you saying that there is no way to upload a track that has a playback in the same quality as the original file? Youtube does it, why can't soundcloud? Big name producers have their tracks in perfect quality on soundcloud, yet I can't? I don't get how I'm supposed to get people to listen to my music when it doesn't sound good. PLEASE let me know of any ways that this can be fixed, because I know FOR SURE some people AKA well know producers don't have this problem.

Thanks
Userlevel 6
Hi Jacob,

Thanks for visiting the help forums :)

OK, you are about to enter the head messing, brain squeezing & generally "at first glance" bewilderingly wonderful world of mastering!

First off, fantastic that you have the download link enabled as that has allowed me to compare your original uploaded file & the streamed sound. Soundcloud transcodes your track to a 128kbps mp3 file for ease of streaming but when someone downloads your track, they get an exact copy of the file that you uploaded.

I wouldn't set much store in "it sounded better through media player" & definitely don't judge things on volume, just to be brutally honest with you. Having compared through MPC & soundcloud there is not a huge deal of difference between the original file & the streamed track. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be some mean critic, you've definitely got a musical talent there & an understanding of how dance music works in someone as young as you is fantastic to see, I have no issues with your tune structure production in any way, shape or form. Thes best thing I can advise is, "don't worry about everything sounding loud, its not all about volume straight away"...what is happening is all these sounds are jostling for position against each other in the track & ending up in a shouting match which kind of muddies the sound, one sound is loud, so you raise another so it can be heard against the first, then another sound is drowned so that is raised up and, like I said, the sounds are all trying to fight for sonic clarity.

Its a very involved subject to be able to explain in full in one forum reply so the best thing I can do is give you a few helpful hints and pointers which should get you in the right direction.

The very first thing I would do is drop the overall dB level of your track, volume is nothing if all of your sounds are jostling for position, give yourself more sonic head room to play with.

Utilise eq "sculpting", using any graphic equalizer your daw may have , make sure anything that doesn't needs lots of low end (vocals, melodies, hi hats etc etc) has all of the low end frequencies turned off al together, where you have sounds which need low end, kicks, beats, basslines, make sure they do not all occupy the same low end space....it can involve a lot of experimenting to see how things sound, but making sure everything is not all trying to occupy the same frequencies at the same time removes a lot of that "shouting match".

If somthing need to be more prominent in the mix, turn other levels down instead of raising the level that you want to hear more of up, its an odd concept to get your head around but it reduces again this possibility of the shouting match between sounds. Its takes a lot of experimentation at first so don't expect immediate results in a matter of minutes.

Use youtube! odd thing to say i know, but search out "mastering" tips for your DAW of choice, there is a whole knowledge base out there just waiting to be tapped into & if someone is showing you how to do something using the same software as you it gives a much better idea of what to do & how to do it. There are also plenty of forums out there for all genres of music, find one that suites your style, there will often be sections where people give advice on what they do to achieve a certain sound or quality & you can obviously post your own threads to get other peoples input.

Reach out to other people producing tracks in the same genre as yourself on Soundcloud, those whose overall sound quality you want to aspire to, never be afraid to ask someone for help, even if you think they are big name, out of your league producers, you will be surprised how happy to help a lot of people can be..yes, there are those who stay tight lipped & don't like to share out their secrets but I for one have found most people are flattered to be asked for their "expert opinion" & will gladly give you pointers, tips & suggestions...

Just on a final point, & please take this as constructive criticism, having had a general nose around your profile I notice that you do leave a lot of comments on peoples tracks stating "16 year old producer from sweden, check out my soundcloud page, I know you will find something you like, Thank you!"...I understand you are trying to raise your presence on soundcloud but a lot of users will see this just as a form of spamming, it is far better to actually comment on the track itself, leave your feedback about it "loving the beats" "quality melody", that kind of thing, it puts you across as being a more genuine user of the platform & more likely to attract people to your profile, it can take a little time but this will gain you more credibility on the site & when your name gets about in that fashion you can build more of a rapport with other users & producers.

OK, I bet you weren't expecting quite such an essay when you put your query up on this forum! haha! Again, I can definitely hear a lot of potential in your tracks & you are at exactly the right age to be able to soak up loads of information which you can utilise to expand your producing abilities, you can only keep getting better so keep at it.

I hope this at the very least helps & has given you some useful pointers :)

Regards

DJ R.I.P
yeah, dont sit there and say "normal people get the same treatment as superstars everything sounds the same." I have a BA in audio engineering, my track sounds just the same on anything else you play it on, my monitor speakers, monitor headphones, two different cars, apple head phones, AKG sound cancelling headphones, except on soundcloud the high end is completed butchered. Fix it soundcloud, you're already on the decline; unless thats why you havent fixed it yet.
So are you saying that there is no way to upload a track that has a playback in the same quality as the original file? Youtube does it, why can't soundcloud? Big name producers have their tracks in perfect quality on soundcloud, yet I can't? I don't get how I'm supposed to get people to listen to my music when it doesn't sound good. PLEASE let me know of any ways that this can be fixed, because I know FOR SURE some people AKA well know producers don't have this problem.

Thanks

I have the same problem it pisses me off so much and idk how to fix it

Thanks

I have the same problem and I tried both wav and MP3 files (at high and low bitrates) to get the professional, punchy and crisp sound like the big producers. All the trial and error things I have done never seems to work and it seems impossible to increase popularity if every song sounds flat and totally squashed.

It is very frustrating :(

EDIT:
Also I listened to your song sir Isaac, and I understand your pain because it replicates my struggle too. It doesn't sound too bad but in comparison to the windows media player (original) version it sounds A LOT worse.

For example:
https://m.soundcloud.com/sam-felts/cosmo
Userlevel 6
hi Jacob,

Thanks for posting. We transcode all tracks to 128 kbps mp3 for streaming playback (even on internet connections that might not be as speedy as others), hence a certain amount of quality loss is actually expected due to the compression of your lossless .wav file.
However, please note that if you choose to make your track downloadable, the version users can download will be an exact copy of the version you uploaded, without any transcoding.

Btw., I've just listened to your track from over here and think it sounds great :-)

Hope this helps to shed some light on this for you.

Cheers
Mathis

you obviously sneaked in there while i was typing my "war & peace" reply below Mathis, haha!
Download Movie copy and paste Link▬►►► https://t.co/0Q7a9OBTfE

Thanks

Huh? Every track on Soundcloud has the same quality, whether you're popular or not doesn't have anything to do with it xP

It's a psychological thing; we expect super famous people to get special treatment, but that rarely seems to be the case for me.

wow my stuff sounds absolutely horrible after upload, I can barely hear some instruments that are bright and clear in the original...

yeah, dont sit there and say "normal people get the same treatment as superstars everything sounds the same." I have a BA in audio engineering, my track sounds just the same on anything else you play it on, my monitor speakers, monitor headphones, two different cars, apple head phones, AKG sound cancelling headphones, except on soundcloud the high end is completed butchered. Fix it soundcloud, you're already on the decline; unless thats why you havent fixed it yet.

EXACTLY!!! There is barely any highend after uploading..wtf is soundcloud doing? xD

Thanks

same problem. sucks!

Thanks

Did you find a fix for this? Ive had this problem for years

Thanks

Here is the one of many tracks on my soundcloud that plays in bad quality https://soundcloud.com/ijenns318/groove-bot?123
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quality Drop Upon Upload.

Recently I created and mastered a track, which, through playback within my computer and iTunes, sounded perfectly fine. However when I upload the same 24 bit Wav file to soundcloud the quality drops dramatically. A small quality drop would be expected but considering it was originally such a high quality file this makes no sense. I have even uploaded originally worse quality files (low grade mp3's) which have sounded better once uploaded to soundcloud. I'm simply looking for an answer on how to upload my track without the quality dropping immensely. Any help will be appreciated.

Yeah it is the exact same with me. I have uploaded far worse quality tracks that retain their volume and quailty far better than ones I have mixed and mastered alot better. Makes no sense???

Thanks
I have the same problem it pisses me off so much and idk how to fix it

Same her, bullshit can't fix it by no means
Hi Jacob,

OK, you are about to enter the head messing, brain squeezing & generally "at first glance" bewilderingly wonderful world of mastering!

First off, fantastic that you have the download link enabled as that has allowed me to compare your original uploaded file & the streamed sound. Soundcloud transcodes your track to a 128kbps mp3 file for ease of streaming but when someone downloads your track, they get an exact copy of the file that you uploaded.

I wouldn't set much store in "it sounded better through media player" & definitely don't judge things on volume, just to be brutally honest with you. Having compared through MPC & soundcloud there is not a huge deal of difference between the original file & the streamed track. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be some mean critic, you've definitely got a musical talent there & an understanding of how dance music works in someone as young as you is fantastic to see, I have no issues with your tune structure production in any way, shape or form. Thes best thing I can advise is, "don't worry about everything sounding loud, its not all about volume straight away"...what is happening is all these sounds are jostling for position against each other in the track & ending up in a shouting match which kind of muddies the sound, one sound is loud, so you raise another so it can be heard against the first, then another sound is drowned so that is raised up and, like I said, the sounds are all trying to fight for sonic clarity.

Its a very involved subject to be able to explain in full in one forum reply so the best thing I can do is give you a few helpful hints and pointers which should get you in the right direction.

The very first thing I would do is drop the overall dB level of your track, volume is nothing if all of your sounds are jostling for position, give yourself more sonic head room to play with.

Utilise eq "sculpting", using any graphic equalizer your daw may have , make sure anything that doesn't needs lots of low end (vocals, melodies, hi hats etc etc) has all of the low end frequencies turned off al together, where you have sounds which need low end, kicks, beats, basslines, make sure they do not all occupy the same low end space....it can involve a lot of experimenting to see how things sound, but making sure everything is not all trying to occupy the same frequencies at the same time removes a lot of that "shouting match".

If somthing need to be more prominent in the mix, turn other levels down instead of raising the level that you want to hear more of up, its an odd concept to get your head around but it reduces again this possibility of the shouting match between sounds. Its takes a lot of experimentation at first so don't expect immediate results in a matter of minutes.

Use youtube! odd thing to say i know, but search out "mastering" tips for your DAW of choice, there is a whole knowledge base out there just waiting to be tapped into & if someone is showing you how to do something using the same software as you it gives a much better idea of what to do & how to do it. There are also plenty of forums out there for all genres of music, find one that suites your style, there will often be sections where people give advice on what they do to achieve a certain sound or quality & you can obviously post your own threads to get other peoples input.

Reach out to other people producing tracks in the same genre as yourself on Soundcloud, those whose overall sound quality you want to aspire to, never be afraid to ask someone for help, even if you think they are big name, out of your league producers, you will be surprised how happy to help a lot of people can be..yes, there are those who stay tight lipped & don't like to share out their secrets but I for one have found most people are flattered to be asked for their "expert opinion" & will gladly give you pointers, tips & suggestions...

Just on a final point, & please take this as constructive criticism, having had a general nose around your profile I notice that you do leave a lot of comments on peoples tracks stating "16 year old producer from sweden, check out my soundcloud page, I know you will find something you like, Thank you!"...I understand you are trying to raise your presence on soundcloud but a lot of users will see this just as a form of spamming, it is far better to actually comment on the track itself, leave your feedback about it "loving the beats" "quality melody", that kind of thing, it puts you across as being a more genuine user of the platform & more likely to attract people to your profile, it can take a little time but this will gain you more credibility on the site & when your name gets about in that fashion you can build more of a rapport with other users & producers.

OK, I bet you weren't expecting quite such an essay when you put your query up on this forum! haha! Again, I can definitely hear a lot of potential in your tracks & you are at exactly the right age to be able to soak up loads of information which you can utilise to expand your producing abilities, you can only keep getting better so keep at it.

Regards

DJ R.I.P

You guys seriously need to consider updating this upload method because this is complete b***s***. Uploading through your server is completely useless and defeating to an artist/engineer because you are taking their work and sticking it in a blender. We sit for hours to perfect something that sadly doesn't even see the light of day on your site, because for whatever reason you guys choose to downgrade the track quality. And I heard it's because of streaming/connection availability? I get you have a platform to run, but this is absolutely absurd. We should 150% be allowed to upload tracks with THE ORIGINAL QUALITY. Luckily you guys probably don't get a lot of complaints from users because this either A. completely flies over their heads or B. they can't hear it. But I heard the quality change the moment I pressed play for the first time on one of my tracks. At least let people know about it too, so people don't go running back to their computers to see if they did something wrong. Real shady SoundCloud. This isn't even just about the creators, it's about the listeners too. We all deserve to hear things the way they are meant to be heard.

Hi Jacob,

Regards

DJ R.I.P

Haha sorry for a very VERY late answer. I don't know if you are going to see this but I just read your "essay" And I would first off all thank you for this reply.
You are right to 110% in everything that stands in the text. Huge respect to you man!
If you see this it would be awsome if you vistited my soundcloud again and listen to my new stuff. I would also love to hear about your opinions and thoughts!
Please messege me on soundcloud instead of writing to me on this website. I am never on this site (obviously)
Thanks again and have a great day!

I had the same problem: after uploading to soundcloud, the track is quieter than spotify or youtube etc. I found myself so "stupid" cuz i ended up turning on my soundtrack's volume to solve this problem lol. But I never adjusted my volume, it was just somehow lower when I played my own soundtrack.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quality Drop Upon Upload.

Recently I created and mastered a track, which, through playback within my computer and iTunes, sounded perfectly fine. However when I upload the same 24 bit Wav file to soundcloud the quality drops dramatically. A small quality drop would be expected but considering it was originally such a high quality file this makes no sense. I have even uploaded originally worse quality files (low grade mp3's) which have sounded better once uploaded to soundcloud. I'm simply looking for an answer on how to upload my track without the quality dropping immensely. Any help will be appreciated.