Question

Soundcloud destroys quality of the track (introduces artifacts and cuts out frequencies)

• 7 December 2016
  • 5 replies

Hello,
I've seen many topics on this matter, and I have found real resolution in any of them, despite them being 'solved'. Up until around 4 months ago, my tracks sounded completely fine after being uploaded on soundcloud. For the last 4 months, whenever I upload a track, artifacts are introduced, the wide stereo parts of the track are squashed and sound horrible, and frequencies (especially in the top end) are cut out and become distorted. I have tried everything, including reduced my master volume and reduces the use of maximizer, scooping out anything above 18500Hz on my tracks, making stuff quieter, uploading as wav etc. with no success. I know that soundcloud encodes everything to 128kbps (which reduces quality I know that, so please don't tell me that again because I'm not stupid) however I tried uploading to other websites that also encode to 128kbps and the reduction in quality is nothing compared to that off soundcloud. Soundcloud literally destroys the track to the point where it is painful to listen to. As a little experiment I tried exporting my track at 128kbps and uploading it to souncloud (by logic, if encoder compresses 128kbps to 128kbps it should sound the same) however it sounding completely different to my 128kbps mp3 on my laptop. Also, please don't tell me that I should make it a free download because that's not a solution I am looking for, I don't want people downloading my music I just want it available for high quality streaming. I have noticed that this problem mostly occurs with upcoming artists rather than artists that are signed, so my question is, do you use a different encoder for their music as a means of segregation? Anyways, I hope you reply with a solution soon. I am not looking for you to tell me how compression works because I know that so please do not rewrite what you've written on every other post out there related to this topic and also please don't tell me to make my music available as a free download because that is not the solution I am looking for. I SINCERELY HOPE that you can switch my account to the way it was beforehand, so my tracks have the same quality they used to have when I uploaded them!!!

Thank You

5 replies

was meant to say at the start - *I Have not found real resolution in them
Hey, I am writing this because I got exactly the same problem and still there is no answer how to solve it. Do you have a solution ?
Mathew
In my tests I get much better results when I upload an uncompressed wav file instead of an MP3. I first uploaded a 192 kbps mp3 and heard pretty bad artifacting on the cymbals. Then I tried exporting a 128 kbps mp3 from my DAW and uploading that (soundcloud converts to 128kbps as far as I can tell.) That seemed to sound different, but not necessarily better. Then I exported a wav from my DAW (44.1 kHz 24 bit)and noticed a dramatic improvement in playback. I suspect Soundcloud will re-process a file even if it's already using the correct bit rate, leading to that terrible artifacting. So if you're currently uploading compressed files, I recommend trying a uncompressed wav instead.
"Then I exported a wav from my DAW (44.1 kHz 24 bit)and noticed a dramatic improvement in playback. I suspect Soundcloud will re-process a file even if it's already using the correct bit rate, leading to that terrible artifacting. So if you're currently uploading compressed files, I recommend trying a uncompressed wav instead."

I always load 44.1 24 bit Wavs and I have noticed this happening now was well. Acoustic guitars, cymbals, stereo image all completely trashed. Have Soundcloud changed their compression specs or something?
Userlevel 3

"Then I exported a wav from my DAW (44.1 kHz 24 bit)and noticed a dramatic improvement in playback. I suspect Soundcloud will re-process a file even if it's already using the correct bit rate, leading to that terrible artifacting. So if you're currently uploading compressed files, I recommend trying a uncompressed wav instead."I always load 44.1 24 bit Wavs and I have noticed this happening now was well. Acoustic guitars, cymbals, stereo image all completely trashed. Have Soundcloud changed their compression specs or something?

Yes I think they have.