Question

Soundcloud Pro users pay for the Replace File feature which has been broken for well over a year. Are you going to fix this or not?

• 26 October 2017
  • 11 replies

If you search the forums for "Replace File", you will find numerous reports going back over a year regarding this bug. If you pay for the "Pro" version, you get the ability to replace files. This seems like a great way to update your songs while maintaining your play counts and statistics. Unfortunately, the mobile app hard caches the original version of the song, sdo your listeners do not hear the newly uploaded version. I would bet that there are a lot of users paying for this feature who have no idea their updates are not being heard by the majority of their listeners. While I feel kinda bad for the support person being made to look bad by his company, someone really should respond to the threads full of users still wondering when this will be fixed.

There is no word of the problem in their "Replace File" help article:
https://help.soundcloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003563528-Replacing-a-track-s-audio-file

They also still have this article which they know is wrong based upon multiple reports (see the last quote below):
https://help.soundcloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003445507-Mobile-app-still-plays-the-older-version-of-a-track

Here is a sampling of the responses we have seen regarding this issue:

MAY 2016

Hi there,

Thank you for reporting this. I have forwarded this to our mobile engineers for a more in depth investigation now.

All the best
Mathis

JUNE 2016

Hi there,

Thank you for contibuting on this conversation. We've forwarded your reports to our engineering team for further investigation.

All the best
Mathis

JUNE 2017
HE SUGGESTS DELETING THE APP IS A SOLUTION THOUGH IT IS CLEAR HE KNOWS BY NOW THAT THIS IS A BUG

Hi there,

It sounds like your phone's cache my be playing tricks on you. Quickest way to sort this would be to delete the app, restart your phone, then download the app again. Please note that when you have synced content for offline listening (SoundCloud Go/Go+), you'll have to redownload this after the reinstall.

Cheers
Mathis

MARCH 2017

Hi there,

I've reported this to the relevant engineering team again. Can you please confirm whether or not pulling from top to bottom to refresh the app, refreshing your app data cache helps, or only reinstalling helps?

Cheers
Mathis

SEPTEMBER 2017

Hi there,

I'm sorry, but I have to confirm that this is a known problem - the mobile apps cache the old version. For any new listeners of your tracks, this won't be an issue, only you & people who have your track still cached on their phones are affected.

Unfortunately, I currently don't have an ETA for when this can be addressed, but rest assured that we've reported this to our engineers.

Thanks
Mathis

11 replies

MATHIS ARE YOU THE ONLY ONE WHO WORKS FOR CUSTOMER SUPPORT. FIX THIS ISSUE MAN IT'S BEEN OVER A YEAR JESUS
I am a Pro subscriber but the Replace File option is grayed out. How can we get SoundCloud to address this? SoundCloud knows this is a problem, yet deceptively claims in their publicity and help pages that a Pro subscription allows this option. They also provide no way of e-mailing them or creating a help ticket.
I have the same problem. And I have decided not to renew my Pro Subscription. Sorry Soundclound. Your service is bad!!!
I am a pro subscriber and the 'replace file' edit function on a track is the major reason I pay money to you. And yet your Soundcloud Mobile App caches old mixes and DOES NOT UPDATE to the new replacement files. Which means regular listeners to my music are stuck with old mixes even though they have long been updated. The only suggested work around by your help team is that a listener should uninstall and reinstall the Soundcloud App to refresh it. This is obviously a totally useless suggestion because Soundcloud users aren't going to do this everytime they want to listen to one of your tracks!!!! Most people listen to music on their phone so this ought to be A MAJOR ISSUE for Soundcloud. And yet I can see that people have been reporting this to you for more than a year......and it is still NOT FIXED. I only found out that it was happening because one of my regular listeners phone me to tell me. As your primary usefulness is seriously faulty I will be unsubscribing unless it is rectified within a month....and I know several musicians who will do the same now that I have passed news of the fault.
I've just realised that Mathis' replies above are just quoted by Johnny Brownell.......ie Mathis is not reading this thread. Which means my reply above is just restating Johnny Brownell's point.....and no one at Soundcloud is either reading, or listening or doing anything about this. No wonder Soundcloud nearly collapsed recently. It's not good at its primary USP!
Bump this post. This issue needs to get handled. @Mathis
Johnny really thanks for this post, I was going to buy a pro version exactly for be able to replace the tracks with a better quality version, even if I consider it really too expensive related to similar service.
You save me money and a sure rage 😃
It is May 29th 2018 and I am having the same issue with not being able to hear the updated version of my tracks on the mobile app and refreshing the cache doesn’t work...
this is a major problem as most people listen with their phone...

You guys just got a bunch of money to stay afloat, how about solving this problem??? Or maybe hire more people so poor Mathis doesn’t have to get all these complaints....

If you search the forums for "Replace File", you will find numerous reports going back over a year regarding this bug. If you pay for the "Pro" version, you get the ability to replace files. This seems like a great way to update your songs while maintaining your play counts and statistics. Unfortunately, the mobile app hard caches the original version of the song, sdo your listeners do not hear the newly uploaded version. I would bet that there are a lot of users paying for this feature who have no idea their updates are not being heard by the majority of their listeners. While I feel kinda bad for the support person being made to look bad by his company, someone really should respond to the threads full of users still wondering when this will be fixed.

There is no word of the problem in their "Replace File" help article:
https://help.soundcloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003563528-Replacing-a-track-s-audio-file

They also still have this article which they know is wrong based upon multiple reports (see the last quote below):
https://help.soundcloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003445507-Mobile-app-still-plays-the-older-version-of-a-track

Here is a sampling of the responses we have seen regarding this issue:

MAY 2016

Hi there,

Thank you for reporting this. I have forwarded this to our mobile engineers for a more in depth investigation now.

All the best
Mathis

JUNE 2016

Hi there,

Thank you for contibuting on this conversation. We've forwarded your reports to our engineering team for further investigation.

All the best
Mathis

JUNE 2017
HE SUGGESTS DELETING THE APP IS A SOLUTION THOUGH IT IS CLEAR HE KNOWS BY NOW THAT THIS IS A BUG

Hi there,

It sounds like your phone's cache my be playing tricks on you. Quickest way to sort this would be to delete the app, restart your phone, then download the app again. Please note that when you have synced content for offline listening (SoundCloud Go/Go+), you'll have to redownload this after the reinstall.

Cheers
Mathis

MARCH 2017

Hi there,

I've reported this to the relevant engineering team again. Can you please confirm whether or not pulling from top to bottom to refresh the app, refreshing your app data cache helps, or only reinstalling helps?

Cheers
Mathis

SEPTEMBER 2017

Hi there,

I'm sorry, but I have to confirm that this is a known problem - the mobile apps cache the old version. For any new listeners of your tracks, this won't be an issue, only you & people who have your track still cached on their phones are affected.

Unfortunately, I currently don't have an ETA for when this can be addressed, but rest assured that we've reported this to our engineers.

Thanks
Mathis

its not broken, when you replace the ting you gotta ctrl+shift+r to reload reseting the cache, otherwise the old version will still play since its cached on your browser

It is May 29th 2018 and I am having the same issue with not being able to hear the updated version of my tracks on the mobile app and refreshing the cache doesn’t work...
this is a major problem as most people listen with their phone...

You guys just got a bunch of money to stay afloat, how about solving this problem??? Or maybe hire more people so poor Mathis doesn’t have to get all these complaints....

on mobile its not on cache, its on the device’s memory, one of the reasons of the app being super reactive and fast is that, imagine having to download every song everytime you hear them, it would be ultra slow, also other apps use the same system aswell, but soundcloud could tag songs which has to be re-downloaded, imo it wouldn’t be that hard to do aswell, but its up to the developers team on soundcloud

Userlevel 3

mine works. I use it daily. always edit a track from the tracks page and not the actual page of the track you wish to edit. also, hit refresh after you replace the file and all parties you’ve shared it with will see/ hear the new version.