Answered

"Start New Recording" button is not working.

• 11 January 2017
  • 3 replies

I am using a Chromebook that runs the latest version of Chrome, Flash, etc. I have never had trouble recording audio with Soundcloud before, but today has seen THE most infuriating 45 minutes of my life.

First, as always, I navigate to "Upload" in the upper-right of the screen.

The next page offers two options: "Choose a file to Upload" or "Start a New Recording". I want to record from my chromebook's microphone, so I choose the second option.

Normally, the page that appears has a circular "REC" button. Click on it, and the recording starts.

Today, though, that page only flashes for an instant before switching to the default page to upload audio, which of course is completely useless to me.

How do I fix this issue? I have tried restarting, clearing my browser history and cache. There has been no change.
icon

Best answer by Matt Fernald 13 January 2017, 03:14

Hello again,

I have fixed my own problem! I stumbled upon the solution completely by accident.

The problem was with Adobe Flash player. I followed these instructions from Google:
How to Turn on Adobe Flash Player
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- In the address bar at the top, enter chrome://plugins and press Enter.
- Under "Adobe Flash Player," click Enable, or check the box labeled "Always Allowed to Run"

More here:
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6258784?hl=en
View original

3 replies

Hello again,

I have fixed my own problem! I stumbled upon the solution completely by accident.

The problem was with Adobe Flash player. I followed these instructions from Google:
How to Turn on Adobe Flash Player
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- In the address bar at the top, enter chrome://plugins and press Enter.
- Under "Adobe Flash Player," click Enable, or check the box labeled "Always Allowed to Run"

More here:
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6258784?hl=en
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Matt,

Thanks for sharing the solution you've found! If you're planning to record & upload more often in the future, I recommend looking into audio recording software. Audacity, for instance, is free and available for Mac, Windows & Linux. This way you can a) edit after recording, and b) have a project file from which you can export your audio again at any given point. (Unfortunately, Flash doesn't create a temporary backup and we've heard from some users in the past that Flash crashed on their browser, at which point their recording was gone and we couldn't do anything about it).

Hence, depending on how long & important your recordings are (say you want to record an interview for instance, which is often a one off thing), this might be an alternate way to do it in the future. :-)

Cheers
Mathis
Hey Mathis,

Good ideas. I've used Audacity in the past (great program), but at the moment I'm working mostly from a Chromebook, and I don't think it's possible to use Audacity on it.

Thanks for your reply!
Matt