Question

Uploaded track volume problem

Hello everyone,

First sorry for my bad english, it is not my native language 🙂

When i upload tracks from iTunes to sound cloud, the volume of the uploaded track decrease a lot compared to the original track (i would say by half) it is annoying and i don't know how to fix this, maybe by increasing the volume of the original track on Itunes ? Somebody else have this problem too ?

Thank you for your answer,

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there Elie,

Thank you for posting. Hmm, let's see. When you upload a track to SoundCloud, we do transcode your upload to 128kbps mp3 audio for the purpose of streaming, even on devices with a slower internet connection. However, we do not normalise or manipulate the volume of your track. Also, when you enable for your tracks to be downloaded, the file that others can download will be the exact same file that you've uploaded.

iTunes has very little to do with this actually - it is basically a media player. What's more important is how you mix and master your tracks before you upload them to SoundCloud.

I hope this helps to shed some light on this and how this works.
Cheers,
Mathis
Mathis wrote:

Hi there Elie,

Thank you for posting. Hmm, let's see. When you upload a track to SoundCloud, we do transcode your upload to 128kbps mp3 audio for the purpose of streaming, even on devices with a slower internet connection. However, we do not normalise or manipulate the volume of your track. Also, when you enable for your tracks to be downloaded, the file that others can download will be the exact same file that you've uploaded.

iTunes has very little to do with this actually - it is basically a media player. What's more important is how you mix and master your tracks before you upload them to SoundCloud.

I hope this helps to shed some light on this and how this works.
Cheers,
Mathis

This is just completely mis-explained on your part. The reason the uploaded tracks drop in volume is because apparently nobody at soundcloud understands the LUFS compliance standard the the entire rest of the world in radio-broadcast and streaming services is using. Yes, you are forcing us to mix and master like complete fools, just for you. I can't count the number of hours you've personally cost me. And I'm thinking about boycotting soundcloud through our local Chicago radio station network.

The long-term algorithm LUFS uses means you can upload tracks that are mixed and mastered correctly with dynamics and the algorithm will determine it's AVERAGE loudness ignoring rare peaks and quiet parts. This new standard everyone is using means when you listen to tracks back-to-back you don't experience jumps in volume. The old way of mixing/mastering was completely terrible and led to phenomena knows as the "loudness wars", which meant 2 decades of hell for producers and engineers. Finally, they are over thanks to the new globally accepted LUFS standard.

Because soundcloud refuses to adopt this or even give us a commitment to eventually comply we are forced to mix and master our tracks to brickwall, making them sound like total shit if we want the tracks to not sound like they're half-volume compared to others on soundcloud. It's such a pain in the ass, and a waste of time, I'm considering referring my clients to Youtube Music and for new bands.

Deep down I hope Soundcloud takes this seriously and fixes the problem within 6 months. 3 years later, we're all still waiting. If you can't adapt fast enough, you'll die.
I very much appreciate the expertise offered by UNIQUEUSERNAME above. I just started my own podcast and the mix is horrible on Soundcloud. That this problem has been unaddressed by Soundcloud for three whole years is revelatory. I will be removing my Soundcloud icon/ link until they fix this problem. Additionally, I will be contacting Spreaker (my RSS feed provider) and alerting them to this defect.

And if this forum is the only way of contacting Soundcloud, or getting their attention (does it?) -- since they seem not to provide a direct link to their support people -- then I am thinking that the company is vulnerable in so many other ways, too.
I uploaded a track on SoundCloud. I did not get enough volume and there is some things is marked.
The first is whenever the volume controller reaches 50% the volume than does not increase even if you take it all the way up. I thought there might be something wrong with the loudness of my track. So, I took some reference tracks to judge my volume. The loudness of my track was -14LUFS still it was alot quieter than the reference so I downloaded one of them and it was at the same loudness of my track on the DAW and PC Media Players. I even uploaded the same version of the track with a -5LUFS 128Kbps Codec and also rendered at 128Kbps, but still it sounds the same. However You can easily detect the difference between the loudness of the tracks version on the PC. No matter what I do, the volume doesn't turn up above a certain level. I tried every possible combination of LUFS and Kbps but its still no go.
I have the same problem. I uploaded a track and it sounded significantly quieter than when I exported it. I thought it might have been the file type I used so I tried others such as wav, mp3, aif, m4a, etc. Doesn't matter what file I use, the volume ends up being reduced anyway. I thought it might be my own mixing/mastering so I decided to compare the Soundcloud upload with the exact file that I exported and there was still a significant difference. Soundcloud is making my tracks more quiet and I can't seen anyway around it, I've tried almost everything. Is there any solution to this?