Question

Uploading A Remix

• 21 September 2015
  • 7 replies

Recently I posted a remix that was taken down due to a copyright notice. As I go through soundcloud some of my favourite pages have remixes of top 40 tracks that don't get taken down.

How can I prevent my remixes from being taken down? Do I have to put them under the creative commons license? Should I provide copy in the description saying I will/do not benefit financially from the track?

Let me know what steps I can take to get my deleted remix back

Thanks Guys!

7 replies

If it's a remix, you don't have much power. SC is forced to remove it if the copyright holder asks for it. Big labels require automatic scans to take place and remixes to be removed. Unless you have an explicit authorisation from the author. That's your only chance. Even if an artist is remix-friendly, SC will kill your buzz and it's nearly impossible to reach any big artist. I had 100k plays on a OMAM Dirty Paws remix. Everybody remixed that freaking song.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Grandmax - thanks for providing some input. You're pretty much right. We are only a hosting platform, we cannot authorise content to be uploaded which infringes. If the right's owner gets in touch, we have to take it down.

-Gina
Userlevel 1
Ok but why don't you modify your penalty then ? For each report filed against you, you as soundcloud gives the remixer automatically a strike where 3 strikes will have your account deleted. Why not just remove the remix then ? Why do you as soundcloud give a penalty as well ? It really freaks me out as i have received 2 strikes for 2 remixes i did on my sc page. Even when 1 remix was an official remix hosted by indabamusic for raheem da vaughn by SONY !!! I did not win but i could post it on social media after the contest. Couple of years later ...bam Sony files a report, You give me a strike and that's it.. Leaving me in vain..... While most of your content on soundcloud is full of official tracks... Oh and do strikes get deleted again after a period of time ? Or do these just hang like above your head ?

https://soundcloud.com/bassfactor_music
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Ok but why don't you modify your penalty then ? For each report filed against you, you as soundcloud gives the remixer automatically a strike where 3 strikes will have your account deleted. Why not just remove the remix then ? Why do you as soundcloud give a penalty as well ? It really freaks me out as i have received 2 strikes for 2 remixes i did on my sc page. Even when 1 remix was an official remix hosted by indabamusic for raheem da vaughn by SONY !!! I did not win but i could post it on social media after the contest. Couple of years later ...bam Sony files a report, You give me a strike and that's it.. Leaving me in vain..... While most of your content on soundcloud is full of official tracks... Oh and do strikes get deleted again after a period of time ? Or do these just hang like above your head ?

Hi there bassfactor_music,

Thank you for following up on this. These are all valid questions, however they are best asked to our copyrights team directly, as they have the necessary insights. You can reach them here. Feel free to refer to this conversation here on the forum so they can pick up the conversation from here.

All the best
Mathis
Userlevel 1

Hello Mathis,

I asked it and i received 2 robot replies back. This is not the way to communicatie to your users. It really annoys me that i am getting a penalty as well from you. Now i have 2 strikes against me while at least 1 is from a remix i OFFICIALLY did at indabamusic.com. It was for the the remix competition Raheem Da Vaughn couple of years ago. Now the same company, SONY, filled a report against me for using the samples. So i used the option to explain what and how and i still got a strike. No way to communicate back with you people..

Even a legimit remix is punished by a strike by you. No matter what i tried to explain, bam i am getting a strike.

Your system is f....d up. Sorry i am pissed at the moment. Why not introduce a system where people can select an option and say.. Yes i am uploading a remix. Then let users have the option to upload evidence that they have the rights to upload it. So in case if a SONY or another big music company is rolling the robots on the internet you can show it to them. And even more important, you do not have to hand out strikes.

Also it would be welcomed if strikes would go away again.

For me this is a final blow. I have 2 accounts on soundcloud. 1 paid account and one free account. I will not continue my paid account. I have had it right now.

So many people are abusing soundcloud and me an honest remixer just getting slapped in the face.

This is why i hate the music industry...

That's actually pretty messed up about that official remix. lol

I guess SoundCloud is that Hollywood.

Soundcloud is a little bitch. And they removed only remixed that make 100 000 and over plays... The most tracks you found on this site is remixed... So soundcloud didnt mean anything. money money money is the most important thing.