Question

What's the audio quality for SoundCloud Go?

• 30 March 2016
  • 32 replies

Is the same ogg file, 96 kbps for mobile and 320 kbps to computer?

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi,

Audio quality is the same across the whole platform.

-Gina
Userlevel 1
Hey Gina,

thank you for your reply! Do you know if there are any plans on improving it to a higher bit rate? 128kbps just don't sound that great for many people, even with less trained ears. If Soundcloud Go featured 320kbps this would probably attract more people, as it would definitely be a reason to subscribe for me. Streaming services like Tidal really stepped up the quality game, and I am seeing increasingly more people investing in higher quality gear and paying attention to the quality of the music as well.

I would love to hear from you!
Userlevel 2
Hey Gina,

thank you for your reply! Do you know if there are any plans on improving it to a higher bit rate? 128kbps just don't sound that great for many people, even with less trained ears. If Soundcloud Go featured 320kbps this would probably attract more people, as it would definitely be a reason to subscribe for me. Streaming services like Tidal really stepped up the quality game, and I am seeing increasingly more people investing in higher quality gear and paying attention to the quality of the music as well.

We're looking into this actually - thanks for the feedback 🙂
Userlevel 2
+1 for higher quality audio
Userlevel 1
+1 That would be the clincher for me.
Hey Gina,

What's the verdict? What's the birate of Soundcloud Go??
Userlevel 2
+1

I'm on a PC in a cabled network, connected via HDMI to a high-end AV Receiver (Denon AVR-4308) which are powering high-end Speakers (Canton Chrono). Listening to any of these streams over an extended period of time (more than 60-90 mins) gives me a headache / ear pain due to quality. This doesn't happen using other streaming services (Napster / Spotify)

So much great music here, please increase bitrate of output so it can be enjoyed!
Userlevel 2
Hey Gina,

What's up Cole and Soundcloud? Any updates here?
If Soundcloud Go featured 320kbps this would probably attract more people, as it would definitely be a reason to subscribe for me.
We're looking into this actually - thanks for the feedback 🙂

I've only just jumped on this SC bandwagon, and I've been discovering great music on here. Was just about ready to kill my Spotify account and subscribe here, but I've invested in a very good pair of headphones and 320kbps is a big deal for me. I'll resolve to discover good music here and listen on Spotify. So... +1
Userlevel 1
This is ridiculous. A streaming service with 128kbps for 10€ a month. We have 2017.
We know mostly of the artists upload their stuff in wav so it's just a technical part of you to do it.
hey guys any updates on this? really not worth using higher quality headphones with soundcloud right now 😕
Userlevel 1
I've just asked this question in the forum, found the answer here, I can't subscribe to Soundcloud Go if the bitrates are 128, that's just ridiculous! It's 2017! You need to offer a higher bit rate if I'm to subscribe, 128 sounds absolutely rubbish, I've got a set of audiophile headphones and you notice that difference! Please sort this out...
+1 I would subscribe, if the streaming bitrate would be 320kbps.
Userlevel 3
They don't need to even bump up the bitrate to increase the quality. All they need to do is keep the bitrate the same and switch to Opus, which sounds indistinguishable from the original WAV file in almost every case. If that sounds too good to be true, download the latest version of LameXP (an audio converter), take a bunch of your exports, select Opus at 128kbps ABR (the option most likely to be used for streaming), hit convert and give them a listen. There should be zero audible loss in sound quality.

At this rate, SoundCloud will still be forcing paid members to stream in low-grade MP3 at 128kbps in 3 years time, while YouTube casually enables 8K 60fps HDR 3D video with high fidelity, multichannel audio for everyone - FOR FREE.
Userlevel 1
Pitching in: if Soundcloud Go would offer lossless hi-fi encoding, the $10/mo would be immediately worth it for me. As is, why the hell would I pay for low bitrate audio?
Userlevel 2
I would also subscribe if you offer 320kbps streaming. that's the only feature i'm interested in.
Userlevel 1
128 kbps in 2017, even LImeWire back in the day provided 320's :P

Get your shit together SoundCloud.
HOW DOES SOUNDCLOUD DARE TO ASK MONEY FOR 128KBPS MUSIC!!?!!?! 😡

I am just absolutely shocked.
I’d like to know, SoundCloud: how can you guys go to work everyday, knowing that you are polluting the web with crappy quality music! All of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves!
You guys know very well that you’re holding quite a collection of content exclusively uploaded to your service!
You guys know very well that your website is one of – if not – the biggest music websites out there, and with a lot of young listeners, whose ears are now, because of you, getting accustomed this 128kbps venom!
You guys just know this, yet you are just continuing this paid service? ... I’m just stunned!
FLAC/WAV/AIFF may be too far of a stretch for now, but at least offer medium quality (320/256).. IT IS A PAID SERVICE.

IT IS NOT 1997. I HOPE THIS DOES NOT COME AS A SURPRISE, BUT IT IS 2017.

Hey, thanks for making the world a crappier place!

P.S.: We’re looking into taking legal action.
+1

I'd pay for Soundcloud Go if I could get 320kb/s.
HOW DOES SOUNDCLOUD DARE TO ASK MONEY FOR 128KBPS MUSIC!!?!!?! 😡

I am just absolutely shocked.
I’d like to know, SoundCloud: how can you guys go to work everyday, knowing that you are polluting the web with crappy quality music! All of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves!
You guys know very well that you’re holding quite a collection of content exclusively uploaded to your service!
You guys know very well that your website is one of – if not – the biggest music websites out there, and with a lot of young listeners, whose ears are now, because of you, getting accustomed this 128kbps venom!
You guys just know this, yet you are just continuing this paid service? ... I’m just stunned!
FLAC/WAV/AIFF may be too far of a stretch for now, but at least offer medium quality (320/256).. IT IS A PAID SERVICE.

IT IS NOT 1997. I HOPE THIS DOES NOT COME AS A SURPRISE, BUT IT IS 2017.

Hey, thanks for making the world a crappier place!

P.S.: We’re looking into taking legal action.

Hey Ether... just cool down a bit !
How can you be sure that I have uploaded my file to Soundcloud in 320kbps ?
I have been using service for years and years and can assure you that it is a true community and not a streaming supermarket... People from remote areas of the world are creating music and uploading it to Soundcloud in all sorts of bits and formats... You may think Soundcloud streaming file to you in 320kbps when in reality it was uploaded by a teenager from Uruguay to Soundcloud in 96kbps... your comment simply does not make any sense what so ever...
Yes 10 dollars a month for 128 is a bit too lame - yet about 30 % of the content is not highest quality in the first place... how do you expecting it to be streamed to your device in higher quality ? Take it or leave it.
For those of us looking for the best quality playback, we should download what we like (yes, save files locally, keep a stored library). As explained on https://help.soundcloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003452847-Uploading-requirements

Please be aware that we transcode all tracks to 128kbps mp3 for streaming playback. When you make your track downloadable, however, this allows your listeners to download your track in the same format you uploaded it in, without any additional transcoding.

As Palmtree said, Soundcloud "is a true community and not a streaming supermarket", so I believe this way we can live fine with it as is until streaming quality is improved.
I'd have to say that because some kid in Africa uploaded a low quality track is a very poor excuse not to give subscribers 320 kilobytes per second even if most of the songs can't support it it's something Spotify is offering and it's 2018 people want to stream their music and take advantage of their headphones and what the artist have to offer
No matter what audio quality the SoundCloud provides, when compare my Spotify Music, I love Spotify Music very much for the quality it provides.
+1 320kbps should be available on regular soundcloud as well as soundcloud go, in order for me to continue to use either service
+1 for better Audio quality especially if you want me to ditch Spotify!